Existing Member?

Enlightened Travels

One night in London

UNITED KINGDOM | Tuesday, 13 May 2014 | Views [172] | Scholarship Entry

“THIS IS PICCADILLY CIRCUS”, the English accent on the tube proclaims as we make our way to our first gay club in London.

We are a diverse group.

I’m from Chicago. My friends Sarah and Eman hail from New York. Joanne is Belgian, and Selene is Italian.

We run off the train filled with adrenaline and excitement. Stopping every few minutes to snap pictures, we smile and greet people as they pass us. As we approach the streets of Soho, we look in awe at the flashing lights, and oriental lanterns that fill London’s night sky. Drunk people and pedi-cabs cover the brick roads.

“There it is!” I say, pointing at the rainbow-colored sign of a club called ‘Escape.”

“Five pounds!” the bouncer says.

We enter the small club that is filled with glittery décor and bubbles. American pop music plays loudly on the speakers. We join the crowd, as we move our bodies to the vibrations.



The sounds of Sister Sledge’s “We are family, I got all my sisters with me” blasts throughout the club.

Sarah starts stepping her legs similar to the Charleston. She doesn’t notice a girl who has just decided to dance behind her.

WHACK! Sarah accidentally kicks this girl in the leg.

“You ruined my pants!” the woman yells at Sarah in a thick English accent.

Sarah apologizes, but that doesn’t work. The lady kicks Sarah and she flies.

“TIME TO GO!” I yell.

Sarah screams all kinds of obscenities. Laughing, we pull her out of the club. We start walking back to the tube station when I hear a guitar playing and a melodious voice.

I turn in the direction of the music. A man with dreadlocks and a red guitar is standing in the middle of the sidewalk singing his heart out.

I run over to him, look him in the eye and start singing along with him.

My friends join me.

WE all start clapping and dancing along.

“Don’t worry, about a thing, cause every little thing is gonna be alright!” we sing along to Bob Marley’s classic.

People gather and start clapping with us. Sarah forgets about the catastrophe at the club.



Strangers and friends come together in blissful harmony in a song that reminds us not to worry.

This night I deeply realized how incredible life truly is when you can just open yourself up to it and concentrate on what’s good. And by doing this the world sends you more to smile about.

The song ends and we make our way to get fish and chips.

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About afavela


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.