Existing Member?

Discovering my own Middle East

The comforting discomfort

JORDAN | Thursday, 21 May 2015 | Views [177] | Scholarship Entry

We met Armand around 8pm, after a long day of being in 2 places at the same time. Literally. That’s what happens when you cross the border between 2 countries by foot. And you try not to get intimidated by the opulent guys with big guns in their hands, analyzing you from head to toe.
As soon as we saw him, it was like a breath of fresh air, even though we barely knew the guy. These days, I don’t really trust the CouchSurfing experience anymore, but he was the only one from Aqaba who had a profile. He promised us a full Jordanian experience, sleeping in a traditional tent by the fire, just 100m from the sea. As dangerous as it sounds, it was the most rewarding experience.
This night in Aqaba was supposed to be the end of our trip through all Israel, from north to south in just 6 days, with as less money as we could. Hitchhiking was our best friend – and for me, my new, terrifying friend in a country where bombs and guns are on the daily menu. It was supposed to be calm, relaxing and very comfortable. Unfortunately, we happened to be there during the “Eid”, Jordan’s Easter, when 80% of the population apparently travels to the southern part of the country, to spend some time at the seaside.
I wouldn’t want to describe the images I’ve seen. Or better yet, I wouldn’t know how to. When you think that civilization started with these people, you’d say they know what pleasant and clean is. But they don’t. Myth busted. For them, it is acceptable to spend one week without taking a shower (except for the baths in the Red Sea), and with a public dingy bathroom where all the thousands of women would wash their female parts right in front of you. I must admit, I was shocked.
And then I realized how spoiled we, the Europeans, are. I felt guilty that those inconveniences bothered me. The western society teaches us to be lazy, always asking for more. But in fact, comfort is about habits. Once you cross that line, you can feel free and careless.
And so I did. Because that night I learned how to accept a totally new and different culture. I learned how to become less aware of the material things, and be more grateful to the experience itself. I learned about Jordanian “magic” tricks from Armand’s friend, how to enjoy the wanders of the Red Sea at night, and most importantly, how to sleep well on a mattress in a Jordanian tent.
The next morning, our breakfast was a full diving experience in one of the most beautiful seas. It was the perfect souvenir one could take home.

Tags: 2015 Writing Scholarship

About aemiliag


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Jordan

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.