Existing Member?

My OZsome Adventure

Day 4: Kangaroos, Koalas, and Crocs...oh my!

AUSTRALIA | Friday, 30 September 2011 | Views [292]

This morning a few of us met up to go to Doonside to the Featherdale Wild Animal Park. We heard you could pet the koalas and kangaroos there. We took a westbound train to Blacktown then took a bus to the park. When we entered the park, we were immediately in a wallaby petting zoo. I just couldn't believe how small and friendly they were.

On this day adventure were me, Anna, Emma, and our Irish friends Ciaran and Paddy. We all took turns posing with a koala that was asleep on a branch. It's called "cuddle a koala". Apparently, in the state of New South Wales you can pet, but not hold the koala. When I asked the zoo keeper if the koala was high, he said no it just sleeps 20 hours a day because the eucalyptus it eats contains no nutrients. I almost felt bad for cuddling it and taking photos while it was sleeping, but then it was just so darn cute! I was also glad it was asleep because koalas are temperamental and will attack you with their claws.

Next were the kangaroos, which honestly didn't look any different than the wallaby to me. They were much smaller than I expected. The babies came right up to us and let us pet them. Anna was brave enough to pick one up, but it scampered away. They were so cute, they ate their food out of ice cream cones. They were so used to people, they would even pose for pictures.

Other animals we saw were wombats, Tasmanian devil, crocodile, bats, snakes, birds, and even some goats and furry chickens. Before we left, I made the group stop by the "cuddle a koala" one last time. It's official, I'm obsessed with koalas!

 

About aearnest


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.