Existing Member?

Tulip Time and Porto

Late Start

NETHERLANDS | Thursday, 4 April 2013 | Views [216]

Woke up to cloudy skies, very cold and late...missed our first tour of the canals. How you ask?  Well, the alarm clock in our room was set an hour earlier, so we thought we had plenty of time.  Heard announcements over the PA, but thought the cruise manager was just getting everyone going.  Turned out our clocks were an hour behind, so we completey missed the city tour.   No worries, we were able to get on a one-hour bus tour for late starters like ourselves.   Took us around the inner sights of Amsterdam .... 109 canals still remain in use. Bettween boats on the canals and the endless number of bicyclists, we were grateful to be on the bus.  The tour guide believes in 10-15 years, no on street paring will be available as the city population, especially bicycles grows.  Although unofficial because bikes aren't registered, it is believed that 600-900 thousand bikes are in use .   We toured a former convent that surrounds two beautiful courtyards containing new sprouts of purpole tulips and yellow daffodils.  This was a peaceful location with a small/active Catholic chapel hidden behind what looks like a house and an Anglican church just steps away.  Both were beautiful inside.   Bus returned us to to the ship for a light lunch.  Next tour is in an hour...culinary delights - Dutch bites (pickled herring, Dutch fries wh mayonnaise (amazing!), and pancakes.  Top it all off with a tast of Dutch gin.  More updates later..... 

About adventuresfromcorona


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Netherlands

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.