Existing Member?

UNRAVEL THE TRAVEL

Power Of The Mind

KENYA | Sunday, 11 May 2014 | Views [235] | Scholarship Entry

The beauty! My surroundings where phenomenal! Despite it taking everything in me to motivate myself to continue climbing to the peak of Mount Kenya, getting there was all worth it. A tear which entailed a considerable amount of mixed emotions slowly made its way down my cheek as i looked around; from the snow, to the rising sun - which gave off a beautiful effect, illuminating everything around me, making me feel like i had stepped right into a movie scene. It was an emotional moment because i felt a sense of accomplishment. It had been an exhaustive four days of hiking, but utterly amazing - an experience everyone must under go at least once in their lifetime. The nature is amazing and as you escalate you feel this empowerment as you stand and look down from the mountain. Nature is relaxing to look at - it has this calming effect which is what gave me the stamina to just keep hiking. As i made myself comfortable perched upon the snow, i thought about the past four days. It had been exciting at first, starting off feeling like you ruled the world then slowly realizing it is way harder than you thought - but then again, it is the power of the mind that enables us to do what we want to achieve, which is what i learnt from this trip. Despite all the hardships and willpower it took me to complete the climb, i loved every moment of it, not regretting one moment. From the nights around a huge bonfire, sitting in search of any possible way to keep warm in the midst of the cold, to the times we laughed so hard at our camp sites about the most insignificant things, to the times we wanted to drop our rucksacks and yell out how we give up, or to thinking about our humble abodes that awaited us. It really was a beautiful moment which was an experience i will never forget till the oceans remain wet. I looked at my friend, who was perched on the snow next to me. The pair of us just lay there, saying nothing, taking in the beauty of the sunrise - which looked like a sea of cotton candy as the pink sky looked down upon us. I thought back to the time where i was on Mount Kilimanjaro - which had been an equally challenging but amazing climb- where i had told myself it would be a long time before i climbed another mountain - but five months later, there i lay on the ever so beautiful snow covered Mount Kenya thinking "how did i end up here?" knowing i would never forget the experience and the lessons i learnt, - making my long term goal to achieve climbing Mount Everest.

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About adventureisoutthere


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Kenya

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.