Existing Member?

The Exuberant Adventures of Admiral Sunshine

My Scholarship entry - A local encounter that changed my life

WORLDWIDE | Friday, 2 March 2012 | Views [278] | Scholarship Entry

     Life is like a desert, where only the most tenacious are able to weather the elements.  I was homeless through the summer of 2011.  Homelessness happened to me, a twenty-four year old female, within the city which I first planted my shallow roots, Atlanta, Georgia.  I moved thirteen times in between the middle of May and the end of August and lived with nine different hosts.  Atlanta, whose earth is the burnt sienna of phoenix tears, was a fitting climate symbolic of my endurance and evolution.  Atlanta was incinerated during the American Civil War, renamed three times, and was the cradle of the Civil Rights Movement.  This south was no place for weak-hearted creatures.           

     I drifted across the city of Atlanta.  I lived as far south as Warner Robins, Ga., as far north as Pittsburgh, Pa., and as far west as Black Rock City, Nv.  Being homeless for three months incorporated living and assimilating into cultures radically different than my own.   This required wit, cunning, and an ability to code switch.  Fear was not an option.  Weakness had to be abolished.  Concentrating was a necessary absolute.       

     I was molded by my conditions.  I learned to be bold and to always exude confidence.  I inferred to expect the unexpected.  I grasped what it meant to take chances.  I realized how to trust my instincts.  I discovered that I should assume nothing.  I identified how to be resourceful.   I deduced how to be mindful.  I appreciated seizing the day.  I became proficient in communicating with clarity.  Most importantly, I recognized that there is absolutely nothing in this world that is worth compromising personal integrity.  All obstacles can be overcome with enough passion and drive to do so.  Finally, in a society that insists upon having more, I have come to understand to make do with what is at hand.

Tags: travel writing scholarship 2012

About admiralsunshine

This image reflects the culmination of my Couch Surfing Summer Survival Tour- my 13th move took me to Black Rock City, Nv.- Burning Man 2011 Rites of Passage.

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Worldwide

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.