Existing Member?

San Juan excursion

Sydney, B.C.

CANADA | Tuesday, 5 May 2015 | Views [146] | Scholarship Entry

A cold, dense fog enveloped the bay. At just past eight o'clock in the morning, I strode up the wide staircase of Chelan, the Washington State Ferry destined for Sydney, British Columbia, Canada. Chelan slipped into the Puget Sound waters, and the fog, bow first as I made my way out onto the deck.

While a ferry regular, this was my first trip amidst the island chain known as the San Juan's. The two-hour ferry ride carried the passengers through Friday Harbor of San Juan Island and past Orcas Island as it eventually made its way to Sydney on Vancouver Island just as the sun broke through. A pod of Orca whales, perhaps two hundred meters off the port side of Chelan, offered a harbringer of the brilliant day to come. While uncommon, whale sightings in the Puget Sound are far from rare.

Chelan pulled into Sydney's dock at 10:30 a.m., the temperature suddenly a comfortable 65 degrees. I left my spot on the deck headed for my car with difficulty. The brilliance of the sun's rays glimmering off the ripples in the sea held the gaze of my eyes. There's no aspect of this earth filled with as much beauty as water. The wide expanse of the open sea, the meandering of a river, or the roar of a waterfall after an arduous hike consistently opens the mind to the journey of life. What lies in store? Where am I headed next?

I passed through customs with my shades down and thoughts of how best to explore the city of Sydney. The exploration began on foot when I found a place to park. I fell in love almost immediately. Sydney is a quaint town about 30 minutes east of the more densely populated Victoria. Both do not hide their British history. While Victoria charms with architecture and its old customs, Sydney charms its tourists with simplicity.

The wooden docks allow you to walk out above the calm waters of the Puget Sound to enjoy an afternoon or do some early morning crab fishing. A bike trail along the coast invites people. As do the small family-owned bakeries, 19th-century pubs and various shops along First Avenue. All done without being crammed shoulder to shoulder with residents. Instead, Sydney gives one the freedom to explore its shops, art galleries and its unique history while taking in a summer day at the sea.

I read Charles Dickens' Oliver Twist at the end of the dock while the sun shifted west and the small waves rapped the tall wooden poles underneath. Sydney awarded me the relaxing day in the Puget Sound I hoped for.

Tags: 2015 Writing Scholarship

About adion03


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Canada

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.