Existing Member?

Lifeaholic. It's not about the destination, is the journey that really matters!

My First Exchange Experience ...

NEW ZEALAND | Thursday, 15 May 2014 | Views [231] | Scholarship Entry

I've went to new Zealand looking for an exchange experience, so I stayed with a host family for two months living like a New Zealander. I was only fourteen, without any traveling experience. Now I'm familiar with traveling, and all it's inconvenience, I know how to handle the misadventures that might occur. But back then, I was rather naive.
After my first English class, me and other three exchange students stayed downtown to get to know the central area. The city is amazing! I'm used to big cities and all, but Auckland is beautiful - really tide and clean, amazing architecture,
lots of greens and parks, and very nice people! By the way, lots of foreign students and travelers too. In the city centre, you see more people from other countries than New Zealanders.
A little too excited to be in the country I've always dreamed of, I kinda lost track of time. Suddenly, I saw a beautiful twilight sky - it's was time to head home. What I didn't know was that night falls fast and really late there, and that the onset of night turns the city into a ghost town - everything closes! Used to the typical tropical hour of dawn, around six in the afternoon, when I looked at my watch, I had a big surprise! It was past nine p.m.!
I headed straight to my bus stop. As I got there, I found an old lady, who seemed to be waiting for her bus as well. But when I asked her for information, she kinda looked at me with pity. I knew then, she was about to give me a bad news. I laughed inside. Really, I laughed! She said the last bus has just passed. It was kinda funny, think about it. First day (I knew my address, but I haven't even learned the directions or the phone number of my host house yet), at my very first time traveling alone, already lost, almost on the other side of the globe. I had no New Zealand dollar, and hitching for a ride was probably a bad idea, it's always risky getting into some stranger's car. Being raised used to the known violence in Brasil, I confess that I was rather afraid to be alone in that empty and so far unknown city - to me.
Don't freak out - I thought - you can't think straight if you lose your mind. Desperately thinking a way out of it, I remembered that as I passed by the city Sky Tower I saw some lights on inside the building. I went there quickly hoping for a solution, or a information that led me to one. Luckily, there was a exchange bank there that salved me! And it was closing in fifteen minutes. So, I guess I am a luck girl after all!

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About addictedtolife


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about New Zealand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.