Existing Member?

A Brief Visit to Paradise

Koh Rong - A visit to paradise

CAMBODIA | Sunday, 3 May 2015 | Views [147] | Scholarship Entry

Arriving to Koh Rong island was a breath of fresh air, peace to the mind and body. You are already taken away by the clear, turquoise water that you just sailed across from the main land, you're taken away by the white, fine, soft sand that makes up 99% of the pathways you walk on and the coconut trees, palm trees and clear blue sky's all let you know that paradise is here. All accommodation is very cheap and situated right on the beach, all bars and restaurants are very cheap and situated right on the beach, I didn't wear any footwear for 5 days and swimming shorts were all that was necessary for clothing. What more could you ask for to make this part of my trip perfect?! Maybe a lovely lady... More on that later.

The first night on Koh Rong island, after we sorted accommodation, consisted of walking along the beach at sunset, eating some of Mr Runs $1 chicken noodle soup and having a few beers... Ideal!! It was a nice start to the island life. I'll gross you all out a bit here, but I'd like to pay tribute to the Cambodian bum gun, whose presence is in the absence of toilet paper and whose loyalty prevails when Mr Runs food stays true to it's name if you smell what I'm cooking!

The electricity on the island goes off around 2am and comes back on at 8am and so you have no worries about a nice dark night, light pollution is at a minimum and the stars have a chance to come out in abundance. Two of the nights we were there we all went to the beach at night, dropped our clothes and went swimming with the plankton which would glow in the water when you moved around, it was amazing to see; you had stars in the sky glowing away and then in the water you had the stars of the sea lighting up. Can't beat a bit of skinny dipping either!!

Our first full day on the island arrived, I woke at 7am for a nice walk along the beach to wake myself up, after a couple of hours walking around, never getting bored of just how beautiful this place is I went to meet a few friends for breakfast in what would become our local bar, 'cocos'.

Tags: 2015 Writing Scholarship

About adamyoung


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Cambodia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.