Existing Member?

Never ending adventure!

Beauty of The Black Pearl From The East

INDONESIA | Tuesday, 6 May 2014 | Views [205] | Scholarship Entry

My name is Loemongga. I’m Javanese Indonesian and I love travelling a lot, for it always gives me new perspectives about many things. Moreover the diverse of my country also offers the adventures that I always want to get in my life. I’ve been travelling in some parts of Indonesia, but the most memorable place that I’d always love to tell is the place where Raja Ampat -one of the most beautiful beaches in the world- is located. It is in the eastern part of Indonesia, in the province of Papua. Unfortunately, I won’t tell about Raja Ampat. There are too many people have been talking about it. You may browse it and I’m sure you will find thousand stories about Raja Ampat that has been published. Instead of talking Raja Ampat, I prefer to tell about the city where the beach itself is located. The city is called Jayapura, it is the capital city of Papua. The first impression that I got when I stepped there, that it has no differences with the other places of Indonesia that I have been stepping in before. Moreover, it is hotter than in Java, my hometown. I keep complaining about the heat since I stepped in Sentani airport, the only airport in Jayapura. My bad impression of this city suddenly changed during the short trip that I got while I heading to my hotel in the central city of Jayapura. From the car I could see by myself, that this city has the unbelievable beauty, because it is surrounded by the hills and the sea. It also has the giant Cross above the hill that turns into a giant blue-light Cross in the night. Jayapura also has its own sign, the one that looked like the sign that we usually see as the sign of Hollywood. One more thing in Jayapura that reminds me of another city in the world is the big sculpture of Jesus. It somehow throws our mind into the giant sculpture of Jesus in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. Well, when you go to Jayapura, it will be incomplete, if you don’t try the traditional food of Papua. It is called as Papeda. It is made of Sagu flavor and it’s looked like glue. Usually the people eat it with what they called as kuah kuning. This kuah kuning is made of tuna or mubara fish that is seasoned by turmeric and lime. So, I finally ate this traditional food and could anyone guess how the taste is? Better you try yourself, it’s indescribable. After all, I personally think that Jayapura is another heaven in earth. Last but not least, I got one more lesson from my journey this time, that you should look closer before start to judge something.

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About acupoftea


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Indonesia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.