Existing Member?

CrunchyTimes

hoi an

VIETNAM | Thursday, 22 May 2008 | Views [476] | Comments [2]

We arrived in hoi an on tuesday afternoon just in time to go to yaly- basically our new home for the next two days. Yaly is the most professional (and expensive) tailor in hoi an and can pretty much make anything you dream up. I got 2 dresses made and have just paid a few minutes ago so now theyre mine. I must have gone in there 7 times. i also had nice strappy sandals made for $7. the woman traced my feet and measured and had them ready the next day- theyd be like $70 at urban outfitters. that night we went to what would be a really nice expensive restaurant at home  called cargo club and our $6 meal did seem expensive to us now that we're completely spoiled.

Yesterday we woke up at 5 am to go to "my son" a sort of mini angkor wat in the middle of nowhere half blown up by the vietnam war. in the guide book it said not to stray from the path because it is unclear how well the area has been demined. i think we went to yaly when we got back to hoi an and then i went to the beach on a bicycle (20 min) rented for $1 a day. a woman sits all day outside our hotel and shes so nice and doesnt harass us- shes already rented us bicycles sold us water and done my laundry-shes the best.we have a swimming pool here and its pretty nice except for some roaches, theyre everywhere in vietnam im learning- luckily there are really cute geckos to even it out. on the way back from the beach we stopped at a upscale hotelo to check out prices and i hopped in one of the nices pools ever ( the hotel was $130 - sooo worth it if i had money). we had our cooking class then and it was one of the highlights so far. the instructor took uws into the food market and told us some tricks on how to buy the best ingredients for the meal and then we came back to the restaurant and started cooking. we made sweet and sour chicken soup, spring rolls, green papaya salad, garlic morning glory (water spinach), and fish in banana leaves. i wrote down everything carefully so i can recreate the meal when i get home. dessert after at cargo club was to die for and then of course we went to yaly. on the way kids hopped on the back of our bicycles and we definetely had no choice but to give them bikie rides up the street- it was really cute. then we went to a beach party later.

     today we rode bikes on the outside of hoi an and the scenery was much like the motorbike ride in hue. there are a lot of beautiful houses along waterways with palm trees and small gravel roads. today was the hottest day we've had so far. we got to a boat eventually that took us to a small island for a bbq. when we came back i went to yaly. my tour leader had challenged me to a tennis match a couple days ago and today i got my chance to show him up- it was close but i beat him. then i went to yaly and now i desperately need some sleep before preparing for tomorrows train ride to nha trang.

Comments

1

Hi Alyson,

I really enjoyed reading your journal today. I can almost visualize the places and the food. I am hungry just from reading about the meal and the desert.

Can you email me any pictures?

Love,

Uncle David

  David Brecher May 23, 2008 2:56 PM

2

SOUNDS like you are having a great time
Food sounds amazing, and Im getting hungry just listening to your great stories
Enjoy your time there, and treasure everything you do!!

  MARK BROCK May 24, 2008 5:39 AM

About acbrock


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Vietnam

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.