Existing Member?

SOME WACKY ENDEAVORS "lol, countries."

Time enough!

PERU | Saturday, 28 July 2007 | Views [673] | Comments [6]

I have had french fries for the past 5 meals.
This hostal has a cafe at the front, which is really convenient. What is inconvenient, is that they have the yummiest fries in the world and I keep ordering them.

  But fear not Mom and any other health-enthusiasts, I have not been eating ONLY french fries. I have been eating omelettes and burritos and yummy pancakes too.
  Today is our last day in Trujillo, we will be in Lima tomorrow to make our way to Cuzco. Since I am full in the belly, I'll update on what has happened since the boat to Yurimaguas (feels like forever ago!)

 
The boat was a cargo boat, transporting grain and, though I didn't see any, I'm sure there was livestock. The cabin we slept in was, according to Cody, illegal by Canada's standards. Bahahaha. Because it did not have windows (it had wooden grates like on some closets) and it was possible to lock it from the outside. It got so hot during the daytime, because it was like a tin box.

 Sarah and I volunteered to share a bed, since it would save us all around $20 to pay for 3 beds instead of 4. Unfortunately we failed to realize that the beds were tiny. So tiny, in fact, that Cody couldn't fit in them at all because he was too tall. He slept in a hammock on deck, which I think was probably nicer anyways.

  That aside, the boat ride wasn't as awful as we'd thought. We made friends with some children on the first day, as well as some of their siblings, anyone else who cared to see what the commotion surrounding our cabin was about, and the cook. We taught the kids a bit of english in return for some spanish, and we also tried to teach the cook, Christian, a bit.

  Cody made friends with a little 8 year-old boy who introduced himself as "Marco Antonio", but his sister told us he was lying. We took to calling him "Marco Pollo" anyways (Pollo means 'chicken', as in the meat.) and he beat Cody up. He was really smart, and picked up card games really quickly. I was stunned, as I have trouble picking up card games even WITHOUT a language barrier. He had jumping contests with Thomas, and won.
  He was ridiculous, we miss him now.
  I'm making it sound like he died, he just got off the boat :P

  In Yurimaguas, we found a beautiful lodge! Eight dollars a night for each of us, which wasn't that much more expensive than we normally paid for a hostal! There was a big German sheperd, a little orange cat, and an asshole parrot that ran around and harassed the other animals.

BETTER THAN TV.

  The lady put out a bucket of food for the cat, and as the cat eats, the parrot RUNS up, DUMPS the bucket of food all over the floor and turns it away from the cat, and starts eating the food.
  While he's eating, the parrot's just muttering incomprehensibly and the cat's standing there like "what do i do?"
  Sweet.

  Anyways, we had to take a bus at 4am the next morning, so we went to bed ASAP to make the most of the 4 hours sleep we could get. The dog barked all night. NO DOG NO.

  The 28 hour bus ride was uneventful and tiring. We got to Trujillo at 6 in the morning next day.
  Getting to the hostal in Trujillo at 6am, all we wanted to do was ind a bed and sleep in it. We found a hostal called Hotel Americano or something, which was HUGE, and passed out on their beds.

  Two hours later, a bigass MARCHING BAND goes past right underneath our window. No sleep for you! We were too tired to be pissed off, instead it was just hilarity.

  We have met some friends and some friends of friends and, it was.. strange? Nah, it was fun. Guys here are bizarrely macho, and can seem a little creepy sometimes, but it's just not what we're used to.

  I waited too long to put a good deal of detail into this entry, so it's just a summary with highlights of what has happened until now. Today, we go surfing.

:)

Tags: Misadventures

Comments

1

Hang ten maddy we miss you love your mummy

  maron Jul 28, 2007 1:15 PM

2

Good to hear ya! Mom Maron, cute. love ya! xoxo

  akrisluvsya Jul 28, 2007 5:56 PM

3

Maybe you could introduce them to poutine you just have to find cheese curds and gravy.

  Dad Jul 29, 2007 5:19 AM

4

Your journal entries are great, esp the parrot bit. Keep on writing! Say hi to Tom for us.

  Brenda Jul 29, 2007 7:12 AM

5

HI MADDY
INTERESTING HOW THE BOY INTERPETED MARCO 'POLO'
AS CHICKEN,.MAYBE HE SHOULD OF NAMED HIM FRENCH FRY GLAD TO SEE YOU'RE MAKING FREINDS! DON'T TAKE NO WOODEN PESOS...PERHAPS YOU COULD FIND A PEN-PAL.

  Phil Jul 31, 2007 7:34 AM

6

Macho eh...I should get me some of those...

LOL better than TV. I LIKE TV. ]=<

  Achilles Jul 31, 2007 10:05 AM

About abeille


Follow Me

Where I've been

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Peru

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.