Existing Member?

SOME WACKY ENDEAVORS "lol, countries."

Unreachable by road.

PERU | Wednesday, 11 July 2007 | Views [641] | Comments [4]

  I had written a blog entry for everyone last night, but these internet cafe computers apparently can't take my high-level surfing, and it froze. Either way, I am back with some stories; today was fun.

  Iquitos is beautiful. Because it rains so much here, the curbs are a foot high, at least! It's maddeningly hot and humid, and this is winter! It's quite a change from Lima. There are almost no cars here, everybody rides motorcycles. I saw a family of four riding on one motorcycle; a little boy in the front, mom and dad in the middle, and another little boy in the back!

  The lanes on the road seem to be for decoration, really. I thought that people broke driving laws in Lima; here there don't even seem to be any! I like it though, it makes it more.. interesting. :)

  Instead of taxi cars, taxis here are mototaxis, like three-wheeled vehicles that are like a motorcycle in the front where the driver is but a sort of rickshaw in the back. We rode around in those for awhile today down some dirt roads and saw some beautiful plant life; and also made friends with the drivers. I have videos of the drive but I don't think they'll do it any justice. It was totally exhilirating.

  We visited Beher market today, which we read was a really cool floating market. We failed to realize that it only floats during wet season, and wound up trudging around in some dirt and mud through a totaly crowded marketplace that smelled like.. well.

  Cody put it best when he said it smelled like everything.
  It wasn't a teriffic smell.

  People at stands sold meat, plucked chickens and pig legs with hooves attached. Apparently in wet season the market is way less filthy and you have to make your way around by canoe. The way we saw it, flies sampled the meat and children would play in the olives after chasing mangy dogs.

  One sad thing about Iquitos is the amount of stray animals here. We named a cat Fernando, he was begging outside of our restaurant and was actually very cute. I saw a great big dog at the market, hair all matted, just laying by the side of the road, barely alive. It was awful. There are a lot of starving strays here. Some just sit in the middle of the busy sidewalk and stare into nowhere, like they wonder what kind of life they have. You can tell which dogs are the smarter ones because they just look depressed. I saw a dog on the way here who was just sitting on the sidewalk staring up at the sky.

  Aside from that, it is beautiful here. The trees are very very green, and tomorrow we will be going to a jungle lodge for 4 days and 3 nights in the Amazon. Afterwards, we will catch the next boat to Yurimaguas and head to Puerto America to do some volunteering :)

  I will upload photos when I am back from the jungle lodge, as I am sure I will have a lot to show you all.

Tags: Adventures

Comments

1

Your stories about the strays make me sad. Poor wuppies and kitties. I've looked at some pictures by other travellers of Lima. Cool architecture. I'm following you on the map trying to picture what you are seeing. Can't wait for your photos to be uploaded. Stay safe in the jungle. Keep smiling. xo

  Akrisluvsya Jul 11, 2007 4:36 PM

2

watch out for those pickpockets in the market! I've read that theyre pretty slick (nomad vet). I hope that going "up the river" isn't more like "up the creek". Have fun and stay safe.

  David Gignac (Dad) Jul 11, 2007 11:17 PM

3

Wow...are you sure you're in Iquitos? Sounds more like a province from where I came from. The markets sounds...fantastic in a gagging way. Poor puppies and kitties...You guys be careful in the Amazon...butch women might attack you...no, actually, Maddie might like that lol. Have fun and keep on moving! I wish you and Fernando good health. xoxoxoxo kisses and hugs for each of you!

  Achilles Jul 12, 2007 3:40 PM

4

hi maddy.
i did the grind yesterday.
(the grouse one smartypants)
it was really hard still i was thinking of how lucky i was because i dont have to carry a GIANT backpack:p
but, it was stillthe hottest day of the year.37 degrees
luv ya-kiki

  Monique Jul 13, 2007 12:19 PM

About abeille


Follow Me

Where I've been

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Peru

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.