Existing Member?

Swimming against the current

Bern

SWITZERLAND | Sunday, 24 May 2015 | Views [197] | Scholarship Entry

In Europe there is a country. It is called Switzerland. A lot of rivers flow through Switzerland. The second largest one is Aare. Aare is a special river. Or maybe Swiss are special people. They like to swim in rivers. So if you're ready to go for an adventure with me, step on board, we are going to jump in the clear waters of Aare and get carried away.
The Aare flows in a wide loop around historical city center of Bern, UNESCO world heritage site. You can basically jump in its waters anywhere but I strongly advise you to stick to the public bath Marzili, unless you go swimming with the locals, as the current is fast and you need to know in advance where to exit.
To reach Marzilibad just cross the square in front of Bern main train station, descend down the stairs and continue straight ahead until you basically bump into the Aare. The entrance to the bath is free of charge, there is a swimming pool for more easy going souls and you will find lockers at your disposal where you can leave your valuables.
Once you are ready, take a walk up the river, following a path through the bushes and the forest just by the river. Enjoy the coldness of tree shadows, feel the ground under your bare feet and listen to the roaring of the water until you reach a wider resting area. Here the river deposited larger amounts of silt and sand and you can easily reach the water.
Now, simply walk to the water, soak your feet in – you might get afraid of the cold current you will feel around your ankles or the moving silt under your feet but don't give up – wait a second or two to get used to the feeling and continue, step by step, deeper in the water. You will notice the current getting stronger. Either jump in the water either continue a bit further, once you reach the waist you will be carried off anyway (which was also my first Aare experience).
No matter whether you jumped in yourself or get »forced« by the river, once you're in, just enjoy. Enjoy the fast current carrying you downwards, enjoy the caresses of the water on your body, enjoy watching the banks moving away, enjoy the sound of pebbles if you dive your head in the water. No matter if you're good at swimming against the currents of life, I suppose you will not succeed to swim against the current of Aare, so rather surrender to the water and drift with the flow. Play with the current and the weight of your own body and dare to be a playful child again. And repeat it over and over again.

Tags: 2015 Writing Scholarship

About aare


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Switzerland

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.