Existing Member?

A_TRIP_TO_A_FAR_AWAY_LAND

My Scholarship entry - A local encounter that changed my life

WORLDWIDE | Friday, 16 March 2012 | Views [400] | Scholarship Entry

S. began to search all the informations about Kiribati, after he discovered it was about a state consisting of 3 main islands and 30 smaller. The faith decided again: he would go to... Phoenix Island! He continued to inform: coordinates, location, history, people, currency. A good thing: they spoke English! He also found photos that revealed an exotic settlement, with a different way of life, almost like an imaginary realm: simple, humble, tan people, constituted in tribes, rudimentary living, in trellis houses surrounded by bungalows, palm trees, coconuts and, more interesting!, he read that the Kiribati Atoll Carolina came first into the new millennium, at 5.45 GMT, remaining renamed since then The Millennium Island. Oh, some bad news: although it had been inhabited by 3000 years, in a short time, Kiribati would be covered entirely by ocean, therefore the effects of global warming were not just a story! In other words - the first land killed by environment and he had just chosen this lost paradise! Reason for the locals to begin migrating in number of increasingly higher, to safer areas. Just a week since he was there and, because people heard he was a doctor, they visited him for medical issues. So, he became their friend, he started to feel a bit one of the community, some gestures of approaching were not a suprise for him anymore: a fishing trip invitation, also to a canoe ride, to the islands around, or to a traditional dance festival, with dancers dressed in bright colored skirts of straw - festival rounded off by specific foods tastings: fish, rice, Palu Sami - a delicacy of coconut cream, onions, curry in taro leaves, or Te Renga - the ancestors’s food and who had the gift to keep the spirits away. Sometimes he found at the door baskets with fruit or wooden objects hand made, inlaid with specific motifs - all those seeming small gestures, but precious by their symbolism and that made him feel less hijacked by his ordinary life, exactly what he had dremt.


Tags: Travel Writing Scholarship 2012

About a_trip_to_a_far_away_land


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Worldwide

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.