Existing Member?

Explore.Dream.Discover 2012

New Zealand - Camping 12th July HAPPY FISHING

NEW ZEALAND | Thursday, 12 July 2012 | Views [506]

 Day5
Having stayed in Glentanner park for 2 nights, it was time to move on.  Crumpets and baked beans for breakfast, and off we went heading for Queenstown.  We stopped off occasionally to take in the magnificent views, the drive through mountains was awesome.  My eye was on potential fishing spots, as I promised Toni I'd catch a fish in NZ and dedicate it to him.  I couldn't let him down!  So having stopped for lunch (tinned mackerel, sweet corn, and 2 fried eggs) we came across Lake Dunsten.  The remote car parking area was a little high up, and so a small climb down to the shoreline was required.  Sophia came too, and I set up my rod and luer.  I messed about trying to get the weight right by which point Sophia went back to the car as the wind picked up.  Half an hour into the casting process I felt what can only be described as a trembling sensation in the rod.  Having established that I hadn't suddenly acquired Parkinson's disease, I concluded that a fish must be on the luer (Toni I was using the bright orange small fish luer with a weight about 10cm up to cast further).  In my excitement I didn't really know what to do except keep reeling in.  To my amazement a 12" trout? pops out of the water.  I was speechless and my attempts to shout up to Soph were feeble.  Soph eventually came down, initially concerned I may have fallen into the lake, so remote she felt my chances of actually catching a fish; but a big smile soon developed.  Smiles all round!  Toni that's for you mate.  
Buzzing after the experience and slightly disturbed by the manner in which the hooks had embedded themselves into the mouth of the poor fish, we set off after another 30 mins of fishing - just the one for today but much experience gained and  I felt I had achieved enough for the day.  A meze here we come!!
We travelled for another hour and stumbled upon some free wine tasting (only 2 mini shots or the record as I was driving).   The day couldn't get better!  We stopped at a campsite for the night and bbq'd the fish to perfection.  Thank you God for a great day!

Tags: fishing

About OandSoph


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about New Zealand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.