Existing Member?

Big Trip Blog Bigtripblog is a multimedia travel experience capturing the adventures of Kevin and Valerie during their one year trip around the world.

Jumpin' Wallabies and a Gorgeous Gorge

AUSTRALIA | Wednesday, 27 June 2007 | Views [1392]

The staggering 200 meter walls of the gorge.

The staggering 200 meter walls of the gorge.

Val: Hooray! We finally saw some roos! They're just as crazy as I'd thought. Mostly because they can hop so fast but they're totally suicidal (or not too swift in the head). On the road to Carnarvon Gorge NP 500k inland from the coast, we counted 26 dead kangaroos and wallabies in five minutes! Not to mention the three at different intervals hanging out on the shoulder deciding either to jump into the road or away from it. Luckily for us three for three jumped away (especially the 6-foot tall one. Yikes.). We saw loads of live ones as well as the deceased; in the park, the Eastern Gray kangaroos and Whiptail wallabies were so tame. We'd walk right past them on the trail and they wouldn't even lift their heads from munching on the grass, let alone hop away.

Carnarvon Gorge itself was spectacular and we were blessed with cloudless blue skies for two days. You can go on a well-marked hike through the 30km gorge, admire the 200 meter walls towering above you and stop off at points of interest along the way, including Aboriginal rock paintings, giant ferns from prehistoric days, walls of moss perpetually covered with water, and an enormous "amphitheater" carved into a side gorge over thousands of years. All of it was beautiful, fascinating, and very relaxing. We've been loving the natural side of Australia, and Carnarvon definitely didn't disappoint.

Tags: ambassador van, the great outdoors

 
 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.