Existing Member?

Cheap & Easy Travels

“Up the Hill” 12 June 11

GREECE | Sunday, 12 June 2011 | Views [236]

Greatest Hits of the day: National Museum of Archeology - Big rain - Up the St. George’s Hill - Dinner at Plaka Roof Top Restaurant - More Hotel Roof Top views.

7,000 years of history: The earliest settlements in Athens date back to 3,800 BC. The Minoans made this fertile region their home. They came from Crete where it is believed that civilization goes as far back as 128,000 BC. Someone else liked it too and ran them off, this happens over and over again until now. Who will conquer the region next? I wonder. The National Archeological Museum takes you through the ages. When early Europeans were pounding rocks, the ancient Athenians were creating art and contemplating the universe. Almost everything we now know about architecture, they had already figured out. When modern Athens was expanding the underground Metro they discovered ancient water aqueducts that tapped mountain springs, bringing water to the city and providing the water needed for a large ceramic manufacturing plants. I wonder who paid the taxes for that infrastructure? Humans are an industrious bunch.

A Deluge: The weather has been picture perfect with a capital “P.” Today the sky opened up into a downpour punctuated by rolling thunder. Gladly, we were inside the museum and could wait out the majority of the storm. We taxied back to the hotel where I even got to do some blogging once I figured out how to log on to the internet…When the rain stopped we headed out to:

The Highest Spot: It took a while to figure out, but we took the Metro to Evangelismo Station near the hospital and located the stairs to the funicular that runs up Lycabettus Hill to the Church of St. George. We got our work out in on those stairs…then took a funicular to the tippy-top. There is a high-class restaurant up there with a panoramic view of the city and the prettiest waiter yet. He needs to be discovered by somebody! Tall, dark, green eyes, dimples and a muscular build – Magnum P.I. It was hard not to stare. Oh yes, the food was pricey, but delicious and the drinks were nice too. If you go there, you have to go to the WC (toilet). Not kidding, they have the coolest hand-washing basin ever. I took pictures. Words can’t describe it.

Plaka Rooftop Restaurant: Am I sounding like a broken record about the rooftop dining experience? This one was spectacular. Not the food, the view. The wine was, well, young…The food was OK, but there was a live Grecian duo on electric piano and mandolin. It was relaxing and the sunset was amazing.

Hotel Rooftop: This time we ran into a couple of guys from an island we have never heard of located in the north Atlantic between Scotland and Greenland. They were both drunk out of their minds and wanted to buy us drinks and talk about poetry. Weird. Pat was forward enough to ask them to be seated and leave us alone…great gal. Tomorrow we travel to Istanbul. I can’t wait.

About 3d_media

Us looking cool in bow ties.

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Greece

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.