Existing Member?

-Wanderlust- People, Places, Stories, Adventures!

Viva Cubalibre!

CUBA | Thursday, 15 May 2014 | Views [367] | Scholarship Entry

First night: the pleasure of the unknown; that kind of freedom that an uncertain destiny gives you.
I’m staying at a hotel in Habana Central,one of the most neglected areas of the city where lots of buildings are ruined by over time. I decided to go for a walk despite it was getting darker. I couldn't wait until next day!
I arrived at Hotel Nacional,a majestic building that imposes itself on the eyes of the unaware walker. I ran into the hotel lobby full of hanging chandeliers,vases and flags from the Cuban Revolution. I realized that the famous “Parisién” cabaret was placed there. Cubans like to offer the cabaret style as an entertainment,multidisciplinary shows where music,dance,singing and humor are combined in a great performance.
Returning, I ventured to walk through the Malecón,famous avenue that runs along the sea, recurrent postcard from La Habana. The street was closed for cars,because a “cold front” made the sea go crazy! It crashed against the defense walls,bathing anyone who dared to take a walk around the area.
The street was empty. From time to time I came across with people sitting in their front doors;cubans use to sit in their sidewalks to talk with their neighbours,little privileges that some people still have.
Next day I was able to see the magic during daylight. Colors were everywhere,people on the sidewalks talking,children playing,sheets hanging from balconies and very old cars passing by.
That afternoon I “moved to” Miriam’s house in El Vedado. It was going to be my lodging for the rest of the days in La Habana. This beautiful neighbourhood had big houses of different styles;squares;tree lined streets and “paladares” in almost every block.
Miriam’s house had a gallery,pale pink walls,high ceilings and huge rooms. She was fond of pottery,and lived with her husband,daughter and grandchildren.
The “cold front” brought caribbean rainfalls. So we used to spend long hours in the kitchen. I used to make them try argentine “mate” and Miriam cooked dinner while talking about movies,football,music,Che and Fidel.
Walking through Habana Vieja, every little street had something special. A person like Hanoi from Varadero, or someone in a Grim Reaper costume;places like the “Farmacia Habanera” or “La Maravilla”,a thousand images. The city explodes in scents and colours. A rare and unique blend between tobacco shops, fruits, sea, old books and...vanilla? Delicate bouquet as eclectic as the buildings, vehicles and passers of the colorful landscape.

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About -wanderlust-


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Cuba

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.