Existing Member?

Workin the World The 4 month trip that lasted 5 years .. all the adventures from Workers final year o/s and the trip back to Oz.

Ray Day 2007 - Porto

PORTUGAL | Monday, 21 May 2007 | Views [2674] | Comments [7]

Ray Day, an event which began in 2004 when a few mates took me out for some quiet snakies (Yo, Cork, Pete Bro & J-Lowe), which has now become, through the love of great friends, a very special day to remember my late father.

For the final Ray Day I would have overseas, we decided to head to Porto. This was my fathers favourite city, in his favourite country (outside of Australia) and had always been a dream of mine to visit since I was a little boy and Dad returned from a business trip raving about it.

As with most European jaunts we met at the customary departure lounge, Wetherspoons at Stansted. For this Ray Day we would have a total of 12 people making the trek: Mouse, Mo, O, Ange, One Fid, Jane, Craig, Rui Nicki, Jason & Meggsy.

Firstly let me say flying over this city I was instantly struck by how beautiful it is. A majestic river running through it, the red clay tiled roofs and the white buildings, it really does present fantastic contrasting colours on the eye.

Upon arrival at our Hostel we quickly went for a walk and made our way down to the river where we discovered the hearbeat of the town and a great little bar which had just been opened by Fabio and his girlfriend. The bar was a classic, little hole in the wall, music playing out of fabio's laptop and his poor girlfriend out the back making cocktails with a blender like her life depended on it. Come 5am we thought it time to hit the sack so headed back to the hostel, although this is a little hazy.

Where all the bars are (by day obviously!)

Saturday we were met with brilliant sunshine so what better way to make the most of it than to head to the local cafe for a morning beer and for 95c how can you go wrong.

Coffee with your morning beer?

After a breaky beer we headed back down to the port where to begin our Port Tasting at Croft's Port House. However prior to this the boys thought it would be a good idea to bring out the official uniforms, who knew how formal a port tasting might be?

Unfortunately we were not booked in until later so we went for a sensational lunch of the local fare before boarding a boat for a cruise up the river to see the 6 bridges. The old blokes on the boat loved us, probably because they had not ever seen 6 ladies under the age of 60 on there in one go, which allowed me to pull rank, and beers, as I took it upon myself to work behind the bar.

Worker Pulling ... Beers

As did Mo who was working topless!

Jane and Ange on the boat

Rui & Mouse Cruising

After the cruise we went in for the port tour and tasting. The tour guide had the patience of a saint putting up with not only drunken snickering eastpak style but the always thought provoking, hard probing questions from our resident journo, O.

The tour guide showing what she'd like to do to O

The tasting itself was very special and emotional. A 1970 vintage Port was chosen (year my parents were married) and was cracked in the special way, with hot tongs around the stem then cold water to crack the glass. Unfortunately it was our girls first day so she didnt quite get it right the first time but the intentions were there.

Clamping the bottle

When all else fails you can always resort to using your teeth

After the tasting we made our way back to the hostel, making friends along the way, before heading back to Fabios for more cocktails.

Sunday (actual Ray Day) was spent wandering the town, taking in the beauty that is Porto whilst trying to keep up with jane, who I am sure believed she was trying out for the Kenyan Olympic team (or perhaps I'm just a slow walker).

Contemplating Life

Cafe life Porto Styles

Port Factories Right on the River Looking Inland

All in all a magical weekend and testiment to not only the friends I had with me this time, but the others who have all been on Ray Days throughout the years, that a weekend which represents something so sad has become more a celebration, which ultimately is what it should be. So thank you to you all, I love you wherever you are in the world.

Worker

Over and Out

Tags: Friends

Comments

1

gold weekend. man i wish i was there. Can picture you cnuts running amok............esp workin behind the bar!

  hesteville May 26, 2007 12:25 AM

2

I have never heard of this town. I'm sold!!!

  Juzzy G May 26, 2007 12:25 PM

3

Oh!! How we wish we were back in Europe for the summer. See you in OZ!

  Cath and Woodsy May 26, 2007 5:59 PM

4

What a Ray Day! So gutted to miss out on that one, although Ray Day was celebrated here in NZ with a nice little drop from Oporto. On ya Stu.

  auntybro May 27, 2007 9:50 AM

5

Great wrap Stu and a worthy sentiment for the bearded one.
I look forward to sharing a Ray Day with you back in Oz

  Tim Kelly May 28, 2007 11:20 AM

6

Poss
Just brilliant. How I love seeing pics of "my boy"
Your Ma xx

  Heather Matthewman May 31, 2007 4:55 PM

7

Hey there big bro wish i was there with you. Can't wait to see you soon
love Burger
xxxooo

  Burger Jun 11, 2007 10:45 AM

About worker


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Portugal

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.