Existing Member?

Where In The World

In The Blink of An Eye

POLAND | Saturday, 14 July 2007 | Views [1024] | Comments [1]

Mountain Tobaggoning ZAKOPANE

Mountain Tobaggoning ZAKOPANE

It was a rather last minute decision but we decided to add Poland to the itinerary.  Unfortunately, we only had a few days to visit Krakow and Zakopane but it was enough for me to know I want to return.

We took the overnight bus from Berlin into Krakow, where we learned that Poland is the home of the original bagel and that the Jewish Quarter has the best in town! Unfortunately we never made it that far.  However, Mandy did try a round bread-like food but by no means was it similiar to the bagels we have at home.  Still tasty though and only cost 50 cents!  With our limited time in Krakow we explored the grounds of the castle, multiple churches, and the ever popular square where the nightlight brings out all the street performers.  One night I even treated myself to a concierto performed in the Church of St. Peter and St. Paul's.  The compositions were by Chopin, Mozart, Bach, and Pachelbel.

There are a couple of day trips you can indulge in while staying in Krakow.  The first is the salt mine in the nearby town of Wielczka.  I wasn't sure what to expect but was definately impressed by the end.  This UNESCO site has been in commission for 9 CENTURIES and when on tour we explored down to a depth of 135 m below the earth's surface.  Not only is this mine filled with salt stalagtites but it also has a restaurant, bar, formal dance area (apparently great for weddings), multiple churches and the largest, the Chapel of St. Kinga, has artwork, relief scultpures, an etching of the Last Supper, and even chandeliers which are ALL made of SALT!  There's even a spa at 210 m for those, like me, who suffer from asthma and allergies.  Unfortunately they didn't have facilities for full body massages and facials so I wasn't into it but they've had plenty of other patrons who have noticed a difference.  Plus, apparently being underground and breathing in all that fresh salt air extends your life!  Apparently I've added minutes, or was it days, to my life just by doing the tour!

The second day trip I did on my own and was a visit to the concentration camp in Oswiciem, which the Nazis named Auschwitz.  Though it was educational it was more than heart-wretching to see the bungalows and barracks, fortified walls with barbed wire, gas chambers, cremation ovens, and read the stories of the victims.  At the camp, they have viewing rooms filled with the personal effects of those sent to Auschwitz Birkenau.  One was filled with suitcases bearing the names and birthdates written boldly on the outside by the owners with the hopes of being returned, another was filled with, mostly women's, hair which the Nazi's shaved and then used to make ropes and blankets for the soliders of the Third Reich.  The largest room was filled with the victims shoes which were worn and tattered from the mass exodus as they were forced from their homelands, others were so tiny they would easily fit in the palm of my hand.  Visiting Auschwitz Birkenau was very draining and heavy but I am glad I was able to view it and give respect to those who suffered.  Even more so, it is a UNESCO site and hopefully the atrocities which happened here will never be forgotten.

"Forever let this place be a cry of despair and a warning to humanity..."  Auschwitz-Birkenau 1940-1945 

Tags: Sightseeing

Comments

1

Hi, stranger!
Hope you are having a wonderful time! It looks like it! I am sorry you haven't heard from me in so long, but my life has been kinda crazy. I sold my house, got divorce papers filed on me, bought a house, moved, became a grandmother, and just started a new job! I got Jennifer Auger's old position. Other than that, things have been kinda slow.....NOT!
I miss you and can't wait to actually read all your entries. I scanned a few and it looks like you are in your element. I am sooooo jealous! Let me know if you are still going to Costa Rica and what time frame you are looking at. I wish I could talk to you. I would love to hear your stories and see your face when you tell them. Know I am thinking of you and I will do better at keeping in touch now. Thinkgs are calming down some. I will send pictures of my grandson, Dylan. Love, Beth

  Beth Murphy Oct 25, 2007 4:46 AM

 

 

Travel Answers about Poland

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.