Existing Member?

Don't foget to pack a smile A journal of an aussie gal's adventures while living and working in UK and riding the wave that is travel

let it snow, let it snow let it snow....

UNITED KINGDOM | Wednesday, 11 February 2009 | Views [680]

Well this week has been an interesting one. On Monday (Feb 2) we actually had a snow day. The weather forecasters had been predicting it since mid last week but everyone refused to believe it. I of course had my snow hat on and was wishing and praying for snow.

On the Sunday night a blizzard started, it started coming down thick and fast and Victoria and I ran outside in our dressing gowns and checked it all out. We couldn’t believe it, it looked like a winter wonderland in our street, but it was late and I was hoping that by morning we would be able to go out to play. I woke up to Victoria banging on my door, “we’re snowed in, we’re snowed in!” she was shouting, I quickly pulled on my thermals, pjs and dressing gown and scooted out. We looked thru the back door and it was magnificent, snow was everywhere and still falling lightly creating a snow dusting on our dressing gowns. I stood on our doorstep and jumped around with Victoria. We ran inside and got dressed in snow gear and ran out again, I stepped into the snow and it went right up to my calf. It was soft and crunchy underfoot, kids were being towed up the street on toboggans and our neighbours were throwing snowballs about and we quickly got caught up in the fight ourselves.. Before long my hands were freezing and I needed to go back inside. I checked the weather and trains, all our trains had been cancelled so there was no chance of work today. I sent work a message, made some porridge and tea.. Then ventured outdoors again..

Between us my flatmates and I built the biggest snow man in the street, stewie the snowman, complete with tie and carrot nose and eyebrows.. We then went exploring, I went down our main street and it was chaos, the grit on the roads hadn’t done anything and cars were slipping and sliding all over the road.. I soon realised my boots had no traction in the snow and that a pair of wellies were necessary. Victoria and I went into town and I bought myself a pair so I could walk without fear of falling or of my toes dropping off from frostbite.

You could literally smell the freshness in the air, it was like the snow drove away all the pollution, fumes and dirtiness and everything was a stark white. It hurt your eyes sometimes. The crisp breeze which carried more snowflakes down to our street was invigorating and before long, running around in the snow left me completely exhausted. I could feel the snowflakes on my eye lashes and face and it felt so clean and fresh. There is nothing like dipping your hand into a freshly laid bunch of snow that is resting on a car or wall and hearing the crunch and fairy like softness of it as u roll it into a snow ball. Of course I made a snow angel and it was damn freezing the whole time but at the same time magical. U could feel the magic in the air, everywhere u looked there were people smiling, saying hello. A truce of friendliness was struck on the snow day and people who normally wouldn’t acknowledge each other stopped and talked to one another. The transport links were down for most of the day as were the buses, London literally came to a standstill and everyone celebrated it.

I ended up wearing my bright red, rose wellies for the rest of the week because the snow stuck around. I walked into work on the Tuesday and was greeted with a winter wonderland along the Thames. The walkways were snow covered, St Paul’s and the Globe were covered and I felt like I was in heaven.

Yes it was bitterly cold, but god it was utterly beautiful and I loved it. The snow crunching underfoot gives u the same sense of satisfaction you get from popping bubble wrap over and over again. It was divine. Slowly though our stewie melted until he was just a pile of slush. Apparently it was the biggest patch of snow London has seen in over 20 years. I felt blessed to be there for it and it still remains as one of my most favourite days in London.

About wandering_jess


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.