Existing Member?

MARY ON HOLIDAY 2012 Adventure: Oregon, Netherlands, France, UAE, Seychelles, and return

The Internet brings Real People together

NETHERLANDS | Saturday, 7 January 2012 | Views [776] | Comments [1]

Up early today to move from one hotel to another.  Wanted to relocate (not only because the proprietor of previous hotel kinda creeps me out) to be closer to the train station for tomorrows departure on the fast train.  Of course, closer to the central station means more expensive but we have our own bath now and I have taken 2 showers just 'cause I can.  

Today, we met up with a friend that Daryl met over the internet 4 or 5 years ago through the POB forum.  She had done some surveying in the past, is now a GIS professional working for a Marine institute.  Here constant quest for data sources has taken her to social media sites of all kinds and thus the link to the POB forum.  I know I could learn a lot from her about effectively using the internet to find information.  

What a nice visit we had!  Originally from Mongolia, Nara is well traveled and it was immediately comfortable to discuss all topics.  Ya never know exactly what this "first meeting" will be like.  Your half way around the world, meeting someone that you have some familiarity with via the internet but you ask yourself.... what are they really like?

She seemingly had a strange power over us as well.  She first wooed me into sharing a wonderful desert with her (Tiramasu, COVERED in whipped cream) and followed by convincing us both to take a boat canal tour.  Anyone who knows my guy even a little will know that this was an accomplishment.  

We donned the tour boat after a quick photo op from the tour guides, in typical tourist fashion.  Drinks were served and this seemed to get us in the mood.  Photography from water level, inside the canal, on a decidedly normal winter Amsterdam day (Gray with no rain)was not the perfect scenario but we each took a few shots through the open windows of the boat.  Nara purchased our commemorative tour pictures from the Company.  We were a little embarrassed by this but they will make a great addition to the gallery once we are home.  

Afterwards, lunch at the Grasshopper.  Certainly the best meal thus far!

Tomorrow we are off to Paris to catch a plane to Dubai. The train travels at 300km/hr. (180 mph) so 3 hours covers the 500 miles between here and there. 

Comments

1

Sent you a message a couple of days age. All of a sudden it was gone. So now it is Sunday about 9 a.m. his morn lovely, guess its going to be a really nice day. Friday, big day. Hair done, backto my place,got ready for "Gals" Fun ridge, than a drink, cleaned up, came here. Dogs are great. Rick walked Thurs. Then came and potted them Fiday because I was gone until 6. Sat. watch football and did up the laundry. Just a -thought...Maybe you could find some type of gift for Rosie's birhday. I'll share.
We have had a couple of days close to 60. No snow yet. The Lions lost and th Saints won. Seems like you had a good visit with your friend. Love you both lots MOM

  Betty Jan 9, 2012 4:14 AM

About surveymare


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Netherlands

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.