Existing Member?

Forgetting the Past

The Pachamama

ECUADOR | Tuesday, 5 October 2010 | Views [1077]

Delphin was his name. He was the truest form of man living side by side with nature, and he and his family were our hosts for this trip in the middle of the jungle. Apart from the genuine kindness this man and his family showed us, he opened my eyes to a whole new way of looking at myself by exposing us to the Pachamama (Mother Earth). I mean this wasn't just some new age Avatar cliche about being "one with nature". This man truly was one with nature. The Earth is where he came from, where he ends after he's gone, his creator and his mother. And every other human being is his brother or sister as they all come from the same mother, the Pachamama. And he doesn't just say it, he believes it with all his being.

We just walked and walked through the jungle as he stopped at every kind of tree, explaining to us it's specific role in nature and it's use to us as humans... from medicinal to music to food to self defense to shelter. 

Yet there was one special use that caught my interest the most..spiritual healing. As we approached a little lake, Delphin and his son gathered certain leaves and roots from the jungle, ground them and mixed them with water into some form or potion. He then completely covered us with it and immersed us into the water asking us to "truly be allowed to be spiritually cleansed". And I'm telling ya..with the right state of mind..it absolutely works. It was as if you've become part of the jungle and it took away all your darkness, immersing you out of the water untainted. 

Tags: amazon, ecuador, jungle, travel documentary scholarship

About soly


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Ecuador

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.