Existing Member?

My travels

Ooty via Coimbatore

INDIA | Monday, 9 March 2009 | Views [1266]

In order to catch the ‘toy train’ to Ooty we had to spend a night in Coimbatore, a rather industrial town in the north of Tamil Nadu. After a relatively quick train journey from Cochi to Coimbatore we had an afternoon to spare in town. Being a large centre for textiles Jacqui got excited about going to look in some silk and sari shops. After several attempts we found the right road and wandered around several huge department stores full of multicoloured material and pushy sales assistants who wanted to sell us wedding saris (the most expensive kind of course! for 3,500 rupees each). We had an early start (5.30am train!) from Coimbatore the next morning to get to Metapuyalam on time for the train to Ooty at 7.30 am. Even after our super early start, we were still exited to be catching the Ooty train. The train ride from Metapuyalam to Ooty has been given world heritage status as this historic tea route is operated by an old fashioned steam engine. We arrived in Metapuyalam at dawn and immediately we saw the little steam train that would be puffing its way up the mountain. We had seats in first class right at the front of the train. We had an excellent view since the steam engine was actually at the back of the train pushing rather than at the front pulling. On the way up we had stunning views of the Nilgiri hills and valleys, of jungle and tea plantations, rivers and animals. We had to stop regularly, about once an hour, for the engine to be refilled with water. About half way, at one water/tea stop in a small village in the mountains, we got off the train to find we were surrounded by hungry monkeys. They obviously had learnt that train = food. These cheeky monkeys were very bold, stealing food from people’s hands whilst they weren’t looking, and even drinking left over tea in cups left standing on the platform.

The train ride was very romantic and a lot of fun but it was also painfully slow at times, and the train would often stop and wait to build up steam and momentum before continuing on its way. When we arrived in Ooty (after 5 hours + 1.30 delay) we staggered off the train into a cool mountain climate. Ooty used to be a hill station that was established by the British in order to escape the heat of the south. The government that used to operate from Chennai would spend the hot months of the year in the hills in Ooty instead (hence the nicknamed ‘snooty ooty!’). We found a really nice room in the YWCA (as opposed to the YMCA!) in a little bungalow with a nice view of the racecourse. Jacqui was very excited that it was cold enough to wear a jumper J. The first evening, wandering around Ooty, we found a really nice fresh produce market sporting neat piles of fruit and veg amongst many other things. The produce looked so good that we bought loads of fruit and decided to have a little picnic dinner at home to try them all. We had avocado, mango, banana, jungle apple (?) and a fruit that looked like a kiwi fruit but was brown inside and tasted just like brown sugar! We had an early night and the next day we went trekking. After a big breakfast we set off for Doda Betta, the highest peak in south India, around 1,200 m. The first part of the trek took us through Ooty town. First stop was the famous rose garden. However, as we discovered when we arrived, that March is not the season for the roses to be in bloom. After a quick appraisal of the muddy flower beds peppered with crusty bushes we decided it wasn’t worth the 20 rupee entry fee and we continued on our way. A few blocks further down the street we walked past a cricket ground. We might have walked past it if it hadn’t been for the noise. We stopped to see what was going on, there were surprisingly few people but they were very excited. In the stalls a group of about 30 girls all wearing the same purple and pink sari were neatly seated in regular rows. This was the Indian version of cheerleaders. Every time someone scored a point, a drum would sound over the tannoy along with a long and complicated explanation of the change in tactics and some cheering from the purple sari girls. Carrying on up the hill we went old Ooty where we saw many small and neat multicoloured houses and green fields of carrot, neatly layered into the side of the hill. The next stop was the tea factory which was about half way up the hill. We stopped to eat our packed lunch with a great view of the valley (and we could still hear the cricket match going on down below!). After lunch we took a short tour of the tea factory, learning about the history of tea in general as well as its history in India. We also saw how the tea leaves were prepared and dried, sorted, cut turned and curled and the equipment that was used during this process. At the end of the tour, the most important part- a nice fresh (and free!) cup of masala tea J followed by a quick stop in the chocolate factory next door. Fully recharged, we marched up the rest of the hill, spotting a giant squirrel and wild jungle fowl. After a last push we made it to the top of the hill. First of all we were greeted with a car park, then a line of street vendors on the path up to the entrance of dodda beta. We finally made it to the top and the panoramic look out point to find the view was totally obscured by think jungle fog. It was like we were sitting on an island of land floating in clouds. At least it was refreshingly cold, which was a welcome relief from the sticky heat of kerala. After our long days walk, we settled back into our little bungalow for a restful evening.

 

 

About qui001


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about India

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.