Existing Member?

Volunteer Abroad

Why Women should take up Solo Trips Abroad- A Male’s Perspective

SOUTH AFRICA | Friday, 13 March 2015 | Views [762]

“The only impossible journey is the one you never begin” – Anthony Robbins

 

It happens pretty often that you back out from a trip, which you have been planning for years, only because your boyfriend backed out or your laid back girl friends are too lazy to embark on an all-girls trip. Seriously!!! Do yourself a favor and grab this opportunity to travel solo.

 

While writing this article, I was in this constant dilemma that whether I would be able to justify my stand on this topic. But what I realized during the brainstorming is that, a traveler is a traveler! Of course, not all travelers are the same. As an ardent traveler myself, I firmly believe that passion for travel has nothing to do with gender, just consider the destination you want to explore. There are ample of examples that I can mention in this article which will tell you stories about women who have surpassed all barriers of fear and other gender based challenges, and explored the dungeons, the wilderness, the pristine oceans, and secret mountains… all by themselves. (Read about Cheryl Strayed for reference.)

 

Now, why must you pack your bags and off you go alone on your next trip abroad….solo:-

 

-          For the incomparable Freedom

This, I can say, is the first and foremost advantage of traveling solo, which you will realize once you are there. When on a trip with friends or family or any other group of known people, you do have to bend your comfort to some extent. But, when you travel alone, you don’t have to listen to anyone else. You are your own companion. Do what you want to, whenever you want to, wherever want to, and however you want to… just make sure it’s within the laws of that country!

 

Move over the hassles of annoying travelers and working your way out according to their plans and schedules. Move over the plans made by your boyfriend, you don't have to remain a “daddy’s girl” or play by anybody's rule anymore. The space which you will get for yourself, you will be surprised and, at the same time, glad to find such liberation.

 

-          Don’t think you will be the only one travelling alone

Don’t be surprised if you come across a fellow female solo traveler on your flight, or during hitchhiking, or while volunteering abroad, or during a group tour. As I said earlier, there are examples of women who broke all social and mental barriers, and left for a solo trip; well, they are still out there and others like them. Travelling solo gives you an opportunity to meet so many new people, from different landscapes and cultural backgrounds. This certainly is one of the best ways to make new friends, for lifetime. Who knows you may find your “true” companion here. After all, we men like traveling alone too and a good company never hurts anyone. So, go ahead my solo friend and make some new friends.

 

-          Confidence booster

If you have packed your bags and have stepped out of your house already, this is just the initial thrust. The more you move forward into your journey, alone, the more your confidence in yourself and in your life builds up. You get to make your own decisions while on a solo trip; now that needs a significant level of self-confidence. And trust me on this, men like and respect women who are confident about themselves and are aware of their actions. Save yourself from becoming that clueless woman you enjoyed making fun of in high school!

 

  • Get a ‘me’ time with yourself

You are your best company. Make your solo trip all about yourself. Explore what you always wanted to, do what you always wanted to. Find yourself and become a better person. Travelling solo also prepares you for future and makes you a better traveller. There is a life beyond your boy friend and your husband, and you must explore it.

 

Best option for a first time solo traveler

One of the best ways for a woman, or for that matter anyone, to begin as a solo traveler and, gain some level of confidence and exposure, is by taking up a volunteer travel trip abroad. In recent years, the trend of taking up volunteer trips has gained a huge pace, and people from all across the globe indulge in this activity during their gap years. Going by the latest figures, women constitute the major portion of the volunteers traveling abroad for volunteering. And they go solo!

 

Volunteering abroad provides you with a brilliant platform to not only travel and explore new places, but also to meet new people, learn different cultures and traditions, try some out-of-the-box dishes, do some enthralling adventure activities, and most importantly bring about a positive change in lives of the underprivileged.  You can choose to be a teacher at a local school in rural part of India, a caretaker at an orphanage in Thailand, a marine/wildlife conservationist in Israel, a healthcare practitioner in Nepal, or simply YOU who is willing to provide a helping hand in improving quality of life. The best part about volunteering abroad is that, you don’t have to make much effort to find your doppelganger. There are international placement agencies through whom you can get enrolled in any of the volunteer abroad programs.

 

Safety

Solo traveling doesn’t have to be dangerous or scary; it just requires the right amount of preparation and alertness. In fact, modern psychologists argue that women have powerful intuition and a heightened ability to read nonverbal communication cues. Their gut instinct and intuition are almost always right. Listen to them!

 

So ladies, don’t hold back; just take the plunge. See you on the other side of the bridge.

Tags: female volunteer, solo female traveler, travel abroad alone, volunteering abroad

 

 

Travel Answers about South Africa

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.