Existing Member?

Enjoying Life....

Learning about my past....

CAMBODIA | Wednesday, 15 July 2009 | Views [1152] | Comments [9]

Sambok is known for the dolphins that come out and play...

Sambok is known for the dolphins that come out and play...

Kratie/Sambok:  Day 1

The drive to Kratie took awhile because the roads were so bad.  We got to Kratie around 1pm and checked into a hotel to rest for a couple of hours.  Kratie is poorer and dirtier than Phnom Penh and Siem Reap.  I haven't talked much about how dirty Cambodia is, but this hotel room was almost unbearable for me.  It was only $13 a night...so you can imagine the quality of the hotel.  If I were to rate it on the star system, I'd say it was half a star!  I'm doing my best to hang in there...but I'm such a clean freak that today was extremely hard!!!

In my previous post, I was trying to figure out Kratie and which city I was born in.  I was born in Sambok, which is in the Kratie province.  However, Kratie is also a city...so that's why I was so confused.  I listened to the recording I did of my parents earlier this year and now everything makes more sense. At the time they spoke about Pol Pot and the cities in Cambodia, I didn't quite understand it since I wasn't familiar with the names of the cities.  All my siblings were born in Kratie...I was the only one that was born in Sambok.  My parents lived in Kratie until 1974/1975 and moved to Sambok (my grandfather also lived there), where they were eventually forced to work in the fields by the Khmer Rouge.  The Khmer Rouge took over Kratie in 1970...but they didn't conquer Phnom Penh until 1975.  Once they conquered Phnom Penh, all of Cambodia came under their rule and no one was allowed back to the city (i.e. my parents weren't allowed back to Kratie).  Everyone was forced to the countryside to work in the "killing fields".

We visited the location of the house I was born in.  The house is no longer there...it fell into the Mekong River after my parents abandoned it.  It's just woods and trees now...no one has bothered to build another house there.  The neighbors still remember my parents...after almost 30 years!!!  I took a few pictures of where the house use to be...so if you see a picture of me in front of a wooded area...that's the place!

We also went to my great-grandparents grave (my mother's side).  The grave is at the bottom of Sambok Mountain and it's deep in the woods.  We had to stop off at a relative's house to pick up a hack-saw so we could get through the woods.  The driver drove the van pretty deep into the woods until he couldn't go anymore...we had to walk another 50 yards or so to get to the grave.  I was terrified of the mosquitoes...if you are wondering why I am dressed so raggety in the pictures...I had to wear stuff that I didn't care about getting dirty and something that could cover me up as much as possible!!!  My cousins picked up some fruits and chicken to offer to my great-grandparents.  In the Chinese culture, when you "pray" to your ancestors, you bring food as an offering.  We each took some incense and "prayed" to my great-grandparents.  It started raining just as we were wrapping up...so we had to rush back to the van.  I'm happy to report no mosquito bites from the woods (but I just saw a mosquito flying in the room...so I'm sure I'll still get bitten).

After that, we went by one of the temples in Sambok.  At this particular temple, my parents donated money during one of their visits to Cambodia for the monks to build a staircase.  The staircase looks really nice...leading up from two sides.  There is also a picture of my parents from when they donated the money.  We also went by a bridge that my great-aunt from San Jose donated money to build...about $40K!

Kratie:  Day 2

We spent the morning driving around Kratie to look at the homes of where my parents and grandparents use to live.  My grandmother from France is also on this trip...so it was wonderful for her to return to her old house.  The couple living there was generous enough to let us inside the house.  The house is so old and dirty...I can only imagine what it looked like back then. 

My parent's house was tougher to identify.  My relatives were able to narrow it down to 2 homes that were side by side, but they couldn't figure out which one it was...so I took a picture of both of them. :)

It was great to finally to learn more about my background.  My earliest memories were when we first came to the US and I have no pictures (not even baby pictures) from Cambodia.  I only hear the occasional story when my parents speak about it...and next time they tell me a story, I'll have something to reference it back to!  Now...if I could only get my parents to remember by birthday!  I'm still not even sure I was born on Oct 24.  A few years ago, my parents were going through their things and came across the booklet where they kept our birthdays.  My brothers and sisters all have a page that was torn from the Chinese calendar on the date they were born.  I didn't have one (since they were too busy trying to survive in Sambok)...but there was a birthdate for Nov 16, 1975 written in the booklet.  The month and day is the same as my brother's b-day, but the year is my birth year.  My mom couldn't remember how that date came about and whether it could've been from the Chinese calendar, etc.  We never did figure out if that was supposed to be my birthday or not.  I still go by Oct 24 until we can prove it otherwise! But maybe as I get older, I'll go by Nov 16 so I can be 23 days younger. :)

I'm glad to be back in Phnom Penh today…staying in a nicer hotel!  Tomorrow will be my last full day in Cambodia...not sure what I will do yet on my last day.  I told my relatives it doesn't matter what we do...what's important is that we get to spend time together...

Comments

1

Just spent the time to get caught up on your trip so far. It is really nice to have you share your trip in this way. I am really happy you are having a good time and seeing a lot of great images of your past. Careful what you eat and talk to you soon

Tom

  Tom Jul 16, 2009 4:18 AM

2

so does this mean that i'm still a week older than you this year? and next year? and next...?<br><br>don't come back and give us your newly caught hepatitis, TB, swine, sars, and malaria!!!<br><br>"All my siblings were born in Kratie...I was the only one that was born in Sambok."<br>i think it's time your parents told you the truth. you weren't born in kratie and they don't know your birthday b/c your dad found you under a bridge one evening in sambok when he was stumbling home from a bar! :P

  KSPimp Jul 16, 2009 4:58 AM

3

hey so did you guys coordinate among relatives to all meet up in cambodia at this time? who coordinated it all? reunions are awesome.

  KSPimp Jul 16, 2009 4:59 AM

4

Tom - I'm glad you finally found the time in your busy schedule to read my blog!! I'm going to quiz you when I talk to you to make sure you really did read it. :)

Ki - it doesn't matter if you are only a week older than me...you LOOK way older than me...hahaha...

I haven't been eating much the last few days since I got sick twice already...I might actually lose weight on this trip!! My grandmother, uncle and his family already made plans to be here...so when I heard about it, I decided to join them. It was definitely good to see them again and meet my relatives in Cambodia for the first time.

  muoy Jul 16, 2009 9:49 AM

5

Hi Muoy, you are doing a great job on your blog. I thinks its great you are finding out about your past and visiting relatives. We all miss you here at Macys and trust me we REALLY miss you :)

Take care and I hope you don't get sick again.

  Brian Jul 16, 2009 10:02 PM

6

I am so happy for you Muoy - finding out about your roots must be awesome and emotional for you at the same time. Stay safe.

  Hubby Jul 16, 2009 10:06 PM

7

Hi Brian!! Thanks! I'd say I miss MST too but then I'd be lying! :) I do miss the people...I don't miss the stress. I use to get some stress knots in my back and now they are much smaller (probably cause of all the massages I've been getting..hehehe..and not being at MST anymore!).

Hubby - Thanks...it's definitely been an interesting experience...one I'll never forget.

  muoy Jul 17, 2009 12:30 AM

8

Sounds like a very rewarding couple of days that will be well remembered, much more so than seeing the typical 'tourist' areas.

Of course, since it wasn't a tourist area you got the hotel mentioned.

Keep the entries coming, very enjoyable following your travels.

  Robert Jul 17, 2009 5:18 AM

9

Hi Robert! Yes...definitely not alot of tourists in Kratie..I only saw a few the 2 days I was there. There's really not much to see there like there is in Phnom Penh or Siem Reap. :)

  muoy Jul 17, 2009 8:36 AM

 

 

Travel Answers about Cambodia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.