Existing Member?

Misha Gitberg our trot from London, Budapest, Viena, Rome, Florence, Venice, Sophia, Istanbul, Doha-all so we can finally get to India! then Nepal, and then Thailand! and then Laos, USA and Canada.

Friends in Budapest

HUNGARY | Monday, 2 July 2007 | Views [3830]

Our Dear Friends It was lovely to be completely spoiled by the Laci's-we spent 10 days touring this beautiful city, guided by constantly available Laci and Zsuzsa on their cell phones, tasting a fine selection of delicious Hungarian whines and getting to know the kids- Beni and Rebus. We were fortunate to experience Budapest not only as tourists but through the many stories and lived accounts from our gracious hosts. My favorite activity in Budapest (in addition to whine tasting and playing with the kids) was going out shopping for delicious local bread and cheese and fruits at the market.

Bridges of Budapest Budapest is definitely one of the most beautiful cities in Europe, even though the Eastern European/Soviet gloom on the faces of people is going to take some time to erase. One memorable example of Soviet gloom were militant old ladies in the National Museum, who constantly eyed Teodora and I with suspicion, ready to blow a whistle on us (I felt as if I was hiding an original of one of the famous Hungarian painter in my underwear :-) )

Budapest street 1

the Parlament at nightThis is a view on the amazingly opulent(for a small country) Parliament (from the Fisherman's Bastion). It is not really lit from the outside, all the tonnes of gold used for its decoration is shining in the night!

Old women at the supermarketThis is a typical Hungarian lady in a supermarket, searching for the eyes of a sales woman....

Budapest phone It seems that many Eastern European countries are expressing the anguish of their transition to a "civilized" society in extensive graffiti (see Bulgaria). Here is a fine example of this: use of a found object-telephone booth.

Stalin's Boots One day we visited an interesting Park just outside Budapest, where a small field contained a fine collection of Soviet Hungarian sculpture.

I found that compared to Russian Soviet style, Hungarian sculptures had more meat on their bones so to speak and overall were more artistic. The picture above depicts Stalin's boots, which were carefully and calmly sawed off his paranoid body.

_7081785Here is another monument in memory of Soviet crash of the Hungarian Revolution of 1958.

Overall, it was soo good to see our friends and to experience the life they live in a vary different environment-we even spent some time at Laci's favorite Internet cafe, e-mailing him from there.....

you can view more of my pictures (and comments) from Budapest at:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/69781927@N00/sets/72157601820991859/

Tags: People

 
 

 

Travel Answers about Hungary

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.