Existing Member?

Raiders Of The Lost Kiwi The journal of two young men setting out on a journey of self harm, destruction and chaos. Hope you enjoy the show!

Picton - Good place to wake up

NEW ZEALAND | Sunday, 4 May 2008 | Views [491]

Once we got off the Ferry we parked the Van and slept, we woke up in the Marlborough Sounds and it is stunning.

We went straight to a Kayak Rental store and booked a sea kayak for the following day and went for a 25k hike for the rest of the day along the Queen Charlotte Trail - the drive to the start of this walk was gorgeous. The walk took all day and we were knackered. Not the best idea when we had some serious paddling to do the following day.

The next day was one of the highlights of travelling so far. We set off in our two man Kayak and ventured out of the harbour deep into the sounds. Within half an hour we seen a couple of Jelly Fish and were equally unkeen to go into the water but soon a few turned into many and then into thousands, the water was white with jelly fish. After paddling for god know's how long we found an awesome little Restaurant only accessible by boat and it served awesome food. After regaining some sensation in our arms we headed off again. As we came out of the bay we saw some fins in the distance and immediatly picked up the pace. We had stumbled on a feeding frenzy with dolphins, seals and dive bombing birds and we were smack bang in the middle of it all, it was simply amazing and a very rare experience. After that we thought everything had gone away but we were lucky enough to find 3 seals swimming in one of the bays and were happy for us to swim with them as they relaxed and cleaned themselves. One of them was a bit of a show-off and would go under the boat and pop up at random places.

Truly amazing time in the Marlborough Sounds.

Tags: stunning

 

 

Travel Answers about New Zealand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.