Existing Member?

trust, love, and the unknown Ongoing with no expected outcome!

Making our way to the cruise

USA | Wednesday, 21 January 2009 | Views [639]

Hmmm...lots of catching up to do now that Kurtis has left ;(

I have some time to reflect and write and resettle into traveling alone.

After spending a few days at the beach and moving homes to more piece and quiet (Varkala has turned a little into a party spot) Kurtis and I took a train to Allepey. When we got to the station we weren't sure which car to get in let alone where our seats were at and as anything else goes in India when you ask someone a question they just point you into a direction even if they really do not know the answer. So, we were in the wrong cart and at first the ticket man told us we had to get off the train at the next stop...scary moment...but then he came back and gave us some seats. I got to sit with a family that probably has been on the train for a long time. I was new entertainment for them as they sat there and admired my Indian suit, my hair, my bindi, and my India Lonely Planet Book.YES I am slowly turning into an india:) in all honesty you get more respect when you dress in their suits and culture.  The children had big bright smiles, all the women wobbled there heads and poked at me, and the youngest was placed on the table in from of me as an offering of a toy for me to play with as they equally offered me to her. I could tell they were saying "Look Susie. look at the white lady at our table, hewre have close look, wow check out her skin and eyes..." And, as always, there was a man (who was about 40 with a mustache stuck in a child's body) that sat accross from me and stared and smiled at me or as Kurtis would put it...undressed me with his eyes. Thankfully I had a book to put in front of my face to block eye contact for a few hours.

When we arrived in Allepey of course we didnt have a room booked up and the reason we were going there was to book a backwaters cruise for my Birthday. According to lonely planet it is the on "top 10 things to do before i die" list. So we got off the train and ask the rickshaw driver to take us to a hotel we found in the book. Its always best to just have them drop you off somewhere as if you know where you are going and you have a reservationand find a place on your own. it saves money and always gaurentees adventure. well the driver put us where he wanted to instead of us in hopes of some comission. After eating and figuring some things out by talking to other travelors we found our new home for a night or two.

We got to the lodge and regrouped. Poor Kurtis has not had a good night sleep in days so we wern't in any rush to do anything or book our boat. In the end we went with the agency attached to our lodge and decided to go "all out" and do a 2 day backwaters cruise on a boat that is modeled after a rice barge. The cruise is guarenteed to offer relaxation, soul rejuvination, cultural experience, romance, and spirituality. So we woke up the morning of my Birthday and set off on another adventure. Once again trusting the Universe that we are in good hands as we sail off in a boat with 3 indians that will take us out into the middle of nowhere somewhere in Southern India

 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.