Existing Member?

Journeys Following my passion!

Damascus: The Heartbeat in the Old City!

SYRIA | Thursday, 16 April 2009 | Views [1490]

Well, we have arrived in this absolutely glorious old city and staying at the Old Damascus Hotel situated in the atmospheric Old City. Its like being in a time warp.  This place hasn't changed in many centuries. The narrow alleyways twist and wind their way to confuse the tourist. Its a city filled with mosques, minarets and old souks.  Our hotel is an old mansion. Looks like nothing from the outside, just a humble door to the alleyway, but inside is this superb palace of a place with lots of stories and history to tell. The ceilings of the rooms are very high, the walls are thick and the rooms are small and dark with tiny windows to keep the heat out. Inside is this fabulous light and airy central courtyard where we will be having our breakfasts. There is also a roof garden from where I should imagine there is a fantastic view out over the rooftops of this gorgeous city filled with treasures of architecture, religion, art, sculpture etc The imam calls his faithful to prayer, and the first call is going to reverberate through the alleyways at 5am tomorrow morning. Its very evocative and I have no problem with this!

The food is exquisite. Lots of fresh veggies and Mediterranean style olives, lettuce, humus, etc. Tonight we dined at  ..... House in the old city. Another beautifully restored old mansion full of character. There was so much food, the table was absolutely groaning, and we battled to get through it. I'm going to love it!

About lizcotton


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Syria

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.