Existing Member?

South America 2015

The Nasca Lines and Wines

PERU | Saturday, 8 August 2015 | Views [364]

Cheeky onboard selfie.
'Pilot to bombardier, pilot to bombardier'

Cheeky onboard selfie. 'Pilot to bombardier, pilot to bombardier'

The Nasca Lines and Wines

 
After a couple of days chilling in Lima we headed to Nasca to fly over the famous carvings in the rocks and sand. We organised a tour, a bus that took us to Nasca, put us up in a hotel over night, sorted the transfers and the plane ride the next morning, then back to Lima the following evening. At $230 we thought it was a pretty good deal. The 6 hour bus ride turned out to be 8 and a half, meaning we arrived at 10:45pm. We passed the time with movies and ipad games and discussed which drink was going to make us feel better. It was decided a wine was in order if we ever got to Nasca. Luckily there was a restaurant open next to the hotel. We decided fried chicken and a litre of Sangria was a suitably balanced diet and examined the flight path for the morning.
 
There is great mystery surrounding the Nasca Lines, some say they were agricultural systems, others say its a zodiac calendar, others that the lines were made by aliens or for aliens. Any which way, no one really has any idea what they are doing there but the shapes, animals, birds and 'men' carved into the rocks are certainly a sight to behold.
 
Our morning departure was delayed by an hour due to fog, then again once we reached the airport by another 2 hours. Our driver took us to a local ceramic factory to pass some time, which was kind of interesting and kind of weird but managed to kill 45 mins. We walked the local shops at the airport, Juanita picking out some jewellery for her up coming birthday and we purchased the obligatory fridge magnet. Finally our time to fly came at around lunchtime.
 
We were joined in the little plane by another couple along with the captain and co pilot. Every seat was full. Definitely the smallest plane either of us has ever been in, you certainly feel every bump. The pilot banked the plane and used the wing to point out the drawings in the land below. Some are harder to make out than others, especially with the plane bouncing around but once you spot them they are spectacular. Measuring between 30 to 150 meters across, seeing them in person only makes you wonder more and more what they are doing there. They can only been seen from far above. The flight over the 13 figures took about half an hour. Juanita can add light-aircraft to the list of things that make her motion sick, a quick spew between the lines didn't dampen the spectacle. 
 
Back on firm land the speculation increased, as it has done for many years before and I'm sure for many years to come. Back to the hotel for lunch then back on the bus to Lima. Well worth the travel time and definitely another tick off the list.

 
 

 

Travel Answers about Peru

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.