Existing Member?

African Archives Traveling is so much better when you can give something back.

Skeleton Coast

NAMIBIA | Monday, 31 May 2004 | Views [534]

Skeleton Coast, Namibia

Skeleton Coast, Namibia

Today was another long day of driving, inevitable in Namibia.  Sometime during the night the wind switched from the east – the desert side – and dried things out so putting away the tent was OK.  But as we drove up the Skeleton Coast it was like a sandstorm – maybe 50 mph.  It was so bad that Connie had to keep her eyes closed as I led her to the Cape Seal colony at Cape Cross.  She probably could have found it on her own by the smell.  Despite the sand blasting, we got some good pictures of thousands of Cape Fur Seals.

It was another 100+ kilometers across the Namib Desert in the sandstorm and then 400 more to reach Etosha National Park.  Already we have seen hundreds of zebra, springbok (the impala of Etosha), giraffe, wildebeest, ostrich, etc., plus two male lions.  Tonight after dinner we walked to the lighted waterhole here at Halali Camp and saw six rhinos (five black including a young ‘un) jackal, spotted hyena.  The stupid people couldn’t be quiet or refrain from smoking and ruined it for me.  Tomorrow is another night. 

 

About johnandconnie

Perqs of volunteering

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Namibia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.