Existing Member?

Jim and Nic go 'round the world in 180 Days

Jordan to Dubai

UNITED ARAB EMIRATES | Sunday, 1 November 2009 | Views [326]

Jim of Jordan

Jim of Jordan

Sunday 25th October

Dubai


We decided on another leisurely start to the day as we had a late flight tonight to Dubai. We headed into the downtown area of Jordan past the Citadel, which was the original Roman fortification of Amman. A bit of a let down after seeing Jerash yesterday so we didn't stay long and worked our way down from the hill to the Roman Theatre, which again, whilst individually quite impressive, didn't rate compared to yesterday. It was fun to walk the downtown area with it's bustling markets and friendly faces. Had lunch in a hole in the wall cafe that was a huge disappointment – you have to get it wrong sometimes.


Today was said goodbye to Jordan. It has definitely been one of the highlights of the trip. It's not a luxurious destination but the remarkably preserved history and the genuine friendliness of the people certainly makes up for it. As we walked the streets people would call out “where you from”? When we answered Australia, their faces would light up and the universal response was”Welcome”.


At 5:30pm we headed off to the airport and we have to say we love Royal Jordanian. As we were travelling Business Class, we were delivered to the private check in where you sit at a lounge and they deal with all the paper work for you (including a very perfunctory immigration check).. Then to the lounge before being escorted onto our very lovely flight to Dubai.


Arrival in Dubai after Jordan really lets you see what oil money can do. First impressions are of a giant Disneyland for big people. On the taxi ride to the Atlantis Hotel, we were like a little kids peering out the window at the remarkable sky scrapers and neon lights. We traversed the 12 lane highway to the Atlantis in record time (mind you it was 1:30am in the morning).


What can we say about the Atlantis ... colourful, over the top, absolute luxury, a complete fantasy land, so gaudy, so us - we love it!


You have to remember that for the last week we have been in monastic separate beds (evidently there are no double beds to be found at all in Jordan) so when we entered our suite and couldn't even see the bed because the hall way was so long we knew we were going to enjoy this place. Our suite is stunning (again the travel gods were looking down on us as we were upgraded on check in). Huge king bed with giant fluffy pillows and room to party in.


We were too excited to sleep so we took the opportunity to explore the hotel whilst most of the guests were asleep. The most incredible

feature was the giant aquarium. Giant is actually an understatement-it is remarkable. It contains all manor of sea life from small fish to sharks and stingrays right up to the giant whale shark. Fabulous.


 

About jimandnicadventure

Us in Petersham

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about United Arab Emirates

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.