Existing Member?

Cruising the world

Czech Republic

CZECH REPUBLIC | Monday, 12 October 2009 | Views [652]

Saturday 12th September 2009

After a long week we headed to Stanstead airport, to catch our flight to Prague, to meet up with Emma and Maneesh (who were two months into their European van tour).  While awaiting our flight, James happily spotted a ‘Rocky Balboa’ pokie machine, and after sliding in a five pound note, he walked away with 60 pounds! So we celebrated by buying some nice champagne, to celebrate our arrival to Prague. We arrived to find Emma and Maneesh holding a sign up for “Mr and Mrs Atkinson/Team JJ”-as they call us, with an awesome picture of the VW Van drawn beside our name. It was such a cool welcome and we were all excited to see each other.  We then headed for a camping ground in Prague, north of the river in Trojska, in the van called ‘Sven Heiden’.  We set up camp and Emma and Maneesh presented us with gift bags each-including some chocolate, lollies, fireworks, toys and earplugs! Awesome! We also got to sample a few beers over dinner, including a 24% beer called Primator-this turned out to be the boys favourite beer!!! It actually still tasted like beer! We settled in for the night, playing a few games of 500.

 

Sunday 13th September 2009

We started the day walking around Prague mainly around Old Town, starting with the beautiful astronomical clock, where on the hour it chimed and had figurines of apostles circling around it. We strolled across Charles bridge and took in the views from Prague Castle, then looked through St Vitis Cathedral, which was filled with very detailed stained glass windows. On the way back down the hill we stopped at an absinthe store and confirmed that it originated from Czech Republic.  During the day we managed to sample our first pretzel, and Trundel (a cinnamon/sugar coated cylindrical pastry) along with some awesome beef goulash and bread dumplings for lunch. None of us were very keen on the beer we had-Pilsner Urquell (the local beer). Before dinner we decided to stock up on more beers including more Primator, Budweiser Budvar (Budweiser being  stolen by the Americans from the czechs) and Erdinger (our favourite German weissber).

Dinner was at a pub called Koala Bar where we sampled more local delicacy including sour crout and beef with cream sauce.

 

Monday 14th September 2009

As we left Prague behind and headed south, we were excited to head to Kutna Hora (a place we had all heard about from friends back in NZ). Kutna Hora is an ossuary and Roman Catholic Chapel  (built in 1400’s) with a surrounding burial ground. At the time that The Plague struck, the town found their small gravesite wasn’t big enough for the deceased victims.  Beyond extending the grounds, to honour the dead, they decided to dig up people’s remains, bleach the bones to clean them and use them to decorate the chapel. The church holds the remains of up to 40,000 people, which was completed in 1870. The effects you will see from the photos are amazing, particularly the pyramid around 5 metres high of skulls and the chandeliers. Being all of a medical background, we spent a good hour walking around, identifying the bones and taking pictures. It was a highlight of the trip.  James also managed to set off an alarm at a wishing well display area by putting his arm through a grating when throwing a coin! Woops! Thankfully he wasn’t kicked out.

We crossed the road to have lunch at the local café where we had yummy traditional Czech potato dumplings, chicken breast and cabbage.

Marking the sides of the country roads were often fruit trees. We managed to stop off and pick some pears on this day too, although they weren’t ripe (Emma found out the hard way).

We drove to Cesky Krumlov and settled in at a local camping ground. We were surprised to find 37 other vans there, whom all turned out to be French, travelling together around Europe with their dogs in tow and everything! James parked up the van (his first driving experience in 6 months) and Emma cooked tea after initial celebrations of champagne and cheese. After more primator beer, we decided to let off more fireworks, to the cheering of the French crowd!

 

Tuesday 15th September 2009  

We parked Sven (the van) on the outskirts of town and headed on foot to wander around Chesky Krumlov.  A very quant town, we enjoyed wandering the streets taking lots of photos. Emma and I managed to pick up some leather gloves each for 15 euro (bargin). Morning tea was enjoyed having curd and apple strudel (girls) and pizza (boys). We crossed the river and walked up to the top of the castle for a picturesque view. On the way down, in the once moat area, we spotted two grizzly bears sunbathing and eating cream buns provided by staff. The size of their claws was impressive! We stopped for lunch and tried their local beer-Eggenberg dark beer, which was great and ate deer goulash/roast duck with dumplings and cabbage for lunch. Before leaving town, the boys stocked up on fireworks, meeting a couple of NZers also doing the same, on their way to Octoberfest. We headed south and crossed the Austrian border, to stay the night in Waidhofen. We settled in for the evening with cards and more fireworks…although it was abruptly stopped when fellow campers became upset with this.

About jamesandjulie


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Czech Republic

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.