Existing Member?

The Saga of Heather's Travels ... the story of a dream come true

In the beginning.......

NEW ZEALAND | Thursday, 25 June 2009 | Views [472] | Comments [2]

Darling Chrissie and Michaela share a joke....

Darling Chrissie and Michaela share a joke....

This is the official record of Heather's dream, now she's finally getting to live it! How did it come to this? After the sad passing of my darling old Mum Chrissie, at 93 years young, I realised I was at last free to pursue an alternative lifestyle! I don't mean alternative in the sense of "new age airy fairy" but as in climbing out of the enormous rut I was in, and at 57yrs of age, taking off to "seek my fortune" It has taken an enormous amount of planning and organising, tears and laughter, sad goodbyes, and happy (as in drunk!)farewell parties. But, I AM ACTUALLY DOING IT!!! (oh my god!) I seem to have talked about it for so long, but now the time is nearly here and I am feeling a bit scared, a bit intimidated and daunted, but mostly, very excited.
The plan is for one year, at this stage. I have the choice of coming back to my job after a year, and who knows? I may be really ready for that. Alternatively I could officially resign from my job after a year and just carry on. I'll make that decision at the time. I have been told by very important people in the finance world that I am very foolish to sell my house and spend the money - they're probably right, but it was the only way I could do it, so, here's to renting someone else's house when I get back!!!! I'm sure people survive it. That's if I've still got a job! Oh dear what have I done?
So, 2nd August I hit Bangkok, after some precious time with my daughters and their babies. After a few days in the beautiful Thai capital to get phone, internet access on my laptop (oh yes I'm going to be a sophisticated traveller!)I plan on heading to an island for the first month, and just chilling, getting acclimatised, and totally relaxing. The plan for the year includes the North of Thailand where I haven't yet been,Laos, Cambodia, and Vietnam. I plan on keeping you updated as I go with fascinating stories and photos of my adventures!! Stay tuned!!

 

Comments

1

Wow Heather this is awesome. It is going to be great to see what you are up to. Give those babies big hugs
Have an awesome time

  Fiona Nisbett Jul 19, 2009 6:54 PM

2

I've just been admiring your beautiful grandchildren. They are just gorgeous (of course)

Lovely to get your blog so far. Looking forward to following you in your travels.

Hopefully see you before you take off.

I envy your adventuous streak.

Love Trish

  Trish Cameron Jul 22, 2009 9:18 AM

 

 

Travel Answers about New Zealand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.