Existing Member?

The Orphanage Experience The Orphanage Exeperience is a non profit initiative, to take fun, educational & sustainable activities vital for a childs development to children in orphanages across the world. 2005 sees the Orphanage Experience off to Cambodia, Vietnam, Laos and Thailand.

Susaday from Cambodia

CAMBODIA | Saturday, 10 December 2005 | Views [1600]

We are about to embark on the first orphanage, The Peaceful Childrens home just out of Phnom Pehn in about 2 days, - nerves, excitment and just really a slight feeling of the unknown. Our week travelling in Cambodia has been amazing, and the people increibly friendly. Its been hot, crazy, new and. Arriving in Siem Reap we of course went to the ruins of the Angkor Empire - of course we looked just like Angleina Jolie when she fiulmed tomb raider - as i am sure she too was marinading in her own sweat, covered in mud and delirious due to the heat. The highlight was however the kids, and hanging out, dancing and learng Khmer off them in thousand year old temples was very special and a perfect introduction to Cambvodia and especially the children.

For anyone that has been to Siem Reap, or to any developing country for that matter will know about the wierd contrast of wealth and poverty that arises especioally in tourist areas, and the need for travellers to be aware and responsible. Siem Reap is a perfect example, with the main tourist street  lined with contential resturants and bars. If you where blundly dumped there i really doubt whether you would have much of an idea where you where, i think i would have even said France. Just out of this small lane with restuarants are corners filled with starving kids, mothers, and just really the majority. We really noticed this inequality, but yet found that most of the other tourist where quite oblivious to it, or even annoyed with having been harrased for a $ or some food. Something to think about,

For the last few days we have been down the coast at Sihanoukeville,  sandy white beachews yet to have been exploited like most around Asia. The only problem i have here, which i have found is  quite an issue, is the hoardes of disgutsing old western men coming here for a good time. The  men hang round fat and hairy, obvioulsy only for one thing. am stil;lc oming to terms with this, although i dont think that i need to.

Must go the internet is slow, expensive and there is one of those men next to me that just make my skin crawl.  Will let you know ASAP about the orphanage!

PS : very sorry about the spelling the font is really small, and i am in a hurry!

Hanna

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Tags: Philosophy of travel

About hanna_and_sarah


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Cambodia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.