Existing Member?

Hanna Butler Journeys

My Scholarship entry - A local encounter that changed my life

WORLDWIDE | Sunday, 22 April 2012 | Views [12481] | Comments [20] | Scholarship Entry

The car slowed and his eyes met mine in the mirror. He wobbled his head and clicked his tongue to answer my question.

"Madam", he smiled, "now we Afghanistan, not Pakistan." He turned to the men in the field. "They no playing cricket, big meeting they having for making big trouble. Come I show you na?"

He began to turn the car around, but I wobbled my head and clicked my tongue back at him to continue onward.

I sat in the back seat of his battered taxi wearing the cloth pulled from his head. The dusty covering fell to my knees and I became the same colour as the thirsty landscape.

From the moment I met him, I liked him. He had a good face. Tanned lines surrounded by a clipped silver beard. He wore traditional baggy pants and lifted them up as if to curtsey, instead revealing guns strapped to his legs and shiny new Nikes.

We were not in Afghanistan, but on the road to where Pakistan meets it. On a river plain known as the Fruit Basket of Pakistan, we dodged NATO trucks and utes full of men in white cricket like clothes.

Our shared curiosity and caution of each other left as we spoke in broken languages and smoked. I smoked like him, constantly and with the cigarette between my middle and ring finger. He only stopped when the music did, taking the cassette and licking it to make it play smoothly again.

We stopped for gas and he returned to fill my hands with pink bubble-gum, the kind that comes wrapped in fake tattoos for kids.

Winding down the window, I let my hand be lifted up and down by the wind. I closed my eyes.

I thought of my home, the Fruit Bowl of New Zealand, fertile alluvial plains of orchards and farms. I saw my Dad, bearded and smoking in his ute, tapping the steering wheel to music. I remembered him getting petrol, always coming back with a treat for me.

He whacked the dashboard and rolled his eyes at the sight of my blonde hair blowing out the window. His arm gestured out at his country. "Why you like my Pakistan?"

I told him I felt at home.

Tags: travel writing scholarship 2012

Comments

1

Isn't it funny how we can be immersed in a culture so different to our own and so far away from our own homes, but still feel connected to the landscape and the people in a way that makes us feel at home.
I enjoyed reading this story so much, I had to come back and read it again.

  Briar May 15, 2012 6:42 PM

2

Congratulations Hanna! I really like the scene where your guide reveals the guns strapped to his legs because the image is both surprising and striking. I hope you have fun and learn a lot in Southeast Asia =)

  apriljsun May 17, 2012 9:40 PM

3

Congrats Hanna for winning the scholarship. I'm happy you wrote about my country and won. Despite all problems we are having for last few years, we are proud Pakistanis and we believe one day we will be able to overcome all our problems. Thanks for feeling at home in Pakistan. I wish you the happiest trip ahead!

  Zafar May 17, 2012 11:32 PM

4

It is the subtleness and "plainess" in this story that make it work..The suggestions, that actually help you be a part of it!- Instead of painting all the colours you have lead me down a line to experience this with you. Excellent writing Hanna!

  Lynda May 18, 2012 1:07 AM

5

I had a feeling this one would win when I read all the entries on the shortlist, and deservedly so. Evocative writing and a beautiful closing to the piece. Congratulations!!!!!

  Lindsay May 18, 2012 4:36 AM

6

Simple with twisted ending. You don't need to talk much but short and touching story is enough. Congrats Hanna! I'm from Bali, Indonesia and studying in Malaysia. Sure, you'll enjoy Southeast Asia! Welcome! See you somewhere on the road ;)

  ulkachandinipendit May 20, 2012 3:04 PM

7

Thank you for all the lovely comments! I am glad you all like my story. I travelled overland through Pakistan and this bit happened enroute a trip from Quetta. It was a pretty amazing experience and it really moved me, and made me understand how close I can be to home when I am so far away. I guess it is also just about finding the extraordinary in the ordinary - which is one of my favourite things to do. Stay in touch everyone. Hanna

  Hanna May 20, 2012 7:24 PM

8

Congratulations! This was a very well written piece; succinct and yet enough to foster one's imagination. Have a great time in SE Asia and I look forward to your future travel stories.

  Iris A May 22, 2012 11:34 AM

9

Wow, this is so well-written. :) Congratulations! I love how you told the story and fired up my imagination. For some reason, it made me feel nostalgic and wistful, but also a bit excited.

Have fun at SEA! :D

  Regina Cortazar May 24, 2012 2:14 PM

10

wow. I ended up smiling. I enjoyed it.

  maamugh May 24, 2012 7:25 PM

11

Congratulations Hanna, I loved this when I read it and I'm glad to see you won! Enjoy your trip and I look forward to reading your Rough Guide to Singapore! All the very best!

  Rebecca Melrose May 24, 2012 9:53 PM

12

This is a really excellent piece. Well done and congratulations!

  Marcus May 31, 2012 9:59 AM

13

Hi, this is a nice travel story - descriptive and simple - I like that. But, I really don't see how this changed your life in any way! It just reminded you of something back home.. we all try to look for things in a new land that are different, and things that remind us of home - as a way of trying to connect and belong.

But well, you've won, and congratulations! But i must say I'm disappointed and surprised with the jury for their choice.

  Archana Jun 1, 2012 10:26 PM

14

In all honesty, this seems rather dull to me. I'm sure most of these comments are from friends and family members. I'm sure the judges had good reasons to pick this one as a winner, but I do not see it.

  Roland Feb 13, 2013 4:15 PM

15

I don't think it's dull at all. I could totally glimpse into that car and see the road and feel that wind slightly moving her hand...

I think it as simple, and would make me want to read more!
It's a very small interaction that sets the tone for the rest of her travels.
She did a wonderful job at pulling you a bit closer to hear the answer as to Why she liked his Pakistan!
good job.

  Mariavagabunda Feb 20, 2013 10:01 AM

16

I was going through this year's scholarship details and stumbled upon your winning entry .Absolutely love the story. Well done !

  Sachi Feb 20, 2013 3:34 PM

17

Great little piece! Congratulations. Love the vibe- when you can feel it, you know that it's good travel writing. a real winner x

  Ranja Feb 21, 2013 6:16 AM

18

A beautiful, evocative piece. Thank you for sharing your experience with us. I got a great sense of character and place.

  Amelia Feb 28, 2013 12:56 PM

19

Succint!
For a while, I thought I was reading Betty Mahmoodi or Jean Sasson's new book.

  Rahul Kapur Apr 13, 2013 8:32 AM

20

Oh, thanks for the inspiration.
Such a good warm feelling from reading it

  Rafael Labate Apr 16, 2013 10:47 PM

About hanna


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Worldwide

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.