Existing Member?

Lily's Travels

Pai in the Sky & back to Chiang Mai

THAILAND | Tuesday, 13 November 2007 | Views [685]

For our last couple nights in Pai, we upgraded from our river bungalow to a hotel with screens on the windows, a private bathroom, fridge, and free bananas - for an extra dollar each. By the end of our five day stay in Pai we were regulars at the two best places in town - Na's and the Good Life. Na's is the place for steamed fish and coconut shakes. The Good Life is for breakfast, spirulina, herbal tea, carrot juice, yoga advice and trading books.  

Back in Chaing Mai we returned to Ping Buri for one last time. I ventured to the US Consulate to seek additional pages in my passport only to find the office closed Monday in observance of Veteran's Day.  My passport doesn't expire for 4 more years but I am down to two blank visa pages... something I should have checked before boarding the plane to Asia.

We went to the Chaing Mai Night Bazzar where Ashley bartered for a dress and scarf before we ate cheap soup from a vendor. We have stomached all mystery street food with success, but I carry Pepto-Bismol tablets in my purse, just in case.

Our last day in Chaing Mai we rose early and I walked across town to the US Consulate when they opened at 8:30am.  There were already ten Farang (Thai word for foreigner - like the Spanish word: Gringo) waiting in line outside. Half an hour wait to get inside, where they confiscated my tea, hand sanitizer, bug spray, cough drops and sunscreen before I was allowed into the real waiting room - #17.  I waited another hour and decided I had to leave in order to make it to the doctor and airport by 11:30 am.

We had another successful hospital experience for our second Japanese Encephalitis vaccine.  If only the US Consulate would be as quick and easy as the Thai hospital... I am sure third time is the charm for my passport pages.

After the hospital we hopped a "Sea-Law" to the airport for our flight to the island of Phuket in Southern Thailand with my sister. Beach time...

Tags: Misadventures

About flower-lily


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Thailand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.