Existing Member?

World Adventure

Perhentian island continues

MALAYSIA | Sunday, 20 June 2010 | Views [814]

Hi All,
day 2
morning snorkelling session in Flora bay  encounter a small shark which although as I previously mentioned is supposedly   harmless it is  still an unsettling sight particularly as we are only in thigh level water and it glided by within touching distance.Coral is again extensively damage and we now suspect that the damage is due or at least partial a result of  fishing trawler nets.The evidences is in plain sight as numerous nets remain tangled in coral.The good news however is that the coral seems to be  in the process of regenerating as new coral is budding everywhere amongst the dead coral..The islands were officially declared  a protected marine park in 1991 so hopefully  that means  there will be no  fishing or  collecting of coral allowed with a two mile radius of the islands.

Whilst put our flippers on we actually saw a troupe of silver leaf monkeys bouncing around in the trees but they quickly disappeared into the thick canopy and were lost to us..

Saw quite a few different species of fish that we haven´t seen before as well as maybe half a dozen blue spot rays.There were´nemos´clown fish  everywhere and on one occasion we saw what we assumed to be a family of 20 hang out in the  tentacles of their own personal sea anemone.It seems that just like the Malaysian´s above the water the ´nemos´ beneath the water  like big families as well.Clown fish  are actually surprisingly aggressive little fish who  will  go to great lengths to protect their territory fortunately however a nibble from them is irrelevant.Saw one massive   fish swim passed but were unable to identify it just knew that it looked big enough and meaty enough to be on a banquet table for 50 people.

In the afternoon we returned to Shark point determined to snorkel further around the point. We spotted a pair  of green bumphead parrotfish which we estimate  were well over a metre long and somewhere between 40-50kg.We drifted along in the current watching them smash their heads into the coral and break pieces off with their large beak like mouths.

We saw a couple of sharks and then much to our horror we saw a pack of sharks,maybe 6-10 sharks, cruising just below us.Depending on whom you speak with,and no names shall be named in this story,someone in our party of two snorkellers is making an outlandish claim claiming that they were being used as a human shield  against the sharks  as opposed to the injured party in this story who is  actually claiming  that they were pulling the other snorkeller to safety!!! Who knows what the real story is both parties are currently agreeing to disagree on the matter.We do however agree that we did back ourselves up against and actually momentarily climb up  a  rock  that was  nearby so that the  sharks couldn´t get behind us.The sharks passed by without even giving us a sideways glance I think that they were more intent on getting easy prey ,maybe  like an asia who can´t swim and is flailing  around in the  water in their fluorescent life vest cutting themselves on coral and thus  bleeding ,rather than us so we swam on until we knew that we had just enough energy to swim back.

820pm what should we do? Go for a night swim knowing what creatures await us? I think not.....we went  for a walk on the beach insist before returning to the room to watch the occasional  rat use to power lines as their own personal  super highway.During daylight hours squirrels use the same highway which is far more appealing to watch.

day 3 walked over to the money side of the island though the jungle track and snorkelled around turtle bay and coral bay.Not overly impressed with this side of the island even though, just like our side of the island ,it is beautiful and has blindingly white sand  It seems to have a few too many Westerners who are only interested in  self basting for our liking.A turtle was sighted but it quickly swam away when we went to get a closer look and whilst we did see a solitary bumphead parrot fish eating its coral for breakfast it was basically a lot of energy wasted for little reward so we returned to the more isolated Teluk Dalam on the Southern coast of the island.The afternoon was basically spend doing exactly as we had done the previous afternoons-snorkelling walking on the beach howling at the moon etc etc.

The Perhentian islands  may have been our last time in the water for this trip but only time will tell as we are heading to another island which has a legendary beach culture

Bye for now,

Vanessa and David

About david_vanessa


Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Malaysia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.