Existing Member?

World Adventure

Taman Negara national Park

MALAYSIA | Tuesday, 22 June 2010 | Views [1236]

Hi All,

We were a little reluctant to head off to yet another national park particularly one were animal numbers were low and sightings rare.But Taman Negara is supposedly Malaysia greatest national ,4343sq kms, so we thought surely one more won´t kill us! The journey to get there in itself was  a rather epic journey that involves 3 changes of bus and almost 8 hrs of travel  time.We arrived late in the afternoon and headed to our number one accommodation choice only to discover that it was  fully booked  so we  started heading in the direction of another  guest house but were met by a man who claimed to know where we could get a hostel bed for 10RM with air conditioning, hot showers and free wi fi so we followed him to Yellow house.To say it was basic was an fairly accurate description  and it delivered exactly what was  promised and much much more.It was a 6 bed dorm and two beds were occupied by a  rather unfriendly French couple who seemed reluctant to engage in conversation  with us.They both spoke English fluently so it wasn´t a language barrier maybe just antisocial personality traits or travel snobbery.(whatever that is).No loss to us. We headed off for a meal down at the river on one of the many moored river boats with restaurants on board. Hamburgers seemed to be very popular with the western population but we decided to stick with simple malay cooking. Unfortunately it seemed to be a one wok and our meals took over 40 min to arrived and to make matters worse they were pretty average. We were in a rush as there was a video presentation on Taman Negara (national park) at one of the other boats so we ate then headed over in the dark and settled in only to find that it was only 15 min long. Hardly worth the effort but it  was also  bus company office so we booked our bus trip to Kuala Lumpar before heading back to the hostel. It was a squeaky night of broken sleep as even the slightest movement seemed to be detected and amplified by the metal beds. I roll around a lot when I sleep.

Next day. We were up early for a walk in the national park. First a river crossing in a boat for 1 ringgit each to get to the entrance of the park and register. It didn't take long to be on our way and we were prepared with plenty of water and our leech socks pulled up. Taman Negara has some of the oldest rainforest  in the world. The path was wide and well kept and it was looking like a leech free zone again but we had read a blog recently that talked about a walker getting 7 leeches along a track so it was good insurance. It was really nice walking through the rainforest and listening to the bird calls. We came across a pretty crested fireback pheasant which clearly found us no threat which allowed Vanessa  time to capture a few images. A short while later we spotted a black crested woodpecker before coming to the turnoff to the canopy walk. The humidity was really high as was the temperature and we were using our water supply much more rapidly than expected. We climbed up the path to the start of the canopy walk and bought our tickets. A fellow traveller could not buy a ticket as the staff had no change for a 50 ringgit note but we couldn't help but we made his day by giving him the 50 sen to make up the cost of a ticket with small change. The canopy walk is the longest in the world at over 400m in length and is very wobbly giving the feeling that you might fall over the side if you release your grip on the ropes. Some of the trees towered above us even though we were 50m above the ground in places. Still we survived without incident and without spotting any birdlife or animals. The day crowd started turning up and the tranquillity of the forest was replaced with noisy human chatter. We were glad to have spent a little time on the track by ourselves. We were going to continue along the path beside the river but were running too low on water so turned around and started heading back via a steep inland mountain. I started feeling unwell, possibly from the heat, and we turned back along the easier path along the river and headed back to the hostel for some water and respite in the air conditioned dorm room.

The dorm was all ours when we got back but not for long. A party of three backpackers turned up and one of them found bedbugs on the corner of one of the upper bunk mattresses which was concerning. I checked a couple of the other mattresses and also found bedbugs. Vanessa said she didn't want to know if they were on her mattress. Fine. I took mine outside and systematically checked it for bedbugs finding them in the seams and went and got the owner to show him the problem. He said that this problem had occurred before as walkers bring them back from the rainforest. Not quite sure whether it was the correct decision or not  but Vanessa didn't want to move to another hostel so we needed to find a solution. I spent the next hour with the owner clearing off and killing the bedbugs from our mattresses then spraying the affected areas with cockroach surface spray. Not really the ideal solution but we were only staying for another night.

We waited out the heat of the afternoon before heading to the river for some food and then over to the national park with the intention of sitting in a nearby hide to watch the birds and animals for the rest of the afternoon. We found  a couple of woodpeckers along the way and a hornbill up one of the tall trees before reaching the hide. We weren't overly confident of observing wildlife as our guidebook indicated it was too close to the park entrance so got too much disturbance and blogs entries seemed to confirm it as fact. Still we wanted to find out. The hide looked across a cleared area of forest and had a small artificial lake in the centre. There was a strange looking brown rock on one edge which on closer observation turned out to be a small wild boar enjoying a dip. A noisy family of asians turned up and did their best to scare of any further chance of seeing wildlife even after reading the 'keep quiet' sign, observing it and saying shhhh then seconds later forgetting it and continuing being loud. They left soon after satisfied with their photographs and we were left in peace for the rest of the afternoon. Three more boars arrived during the afternoon and we also observed 3 unidentified hornbills and rhinoceros hornbill just before dusk. An American turned up with a set of binoculars and sat down to observe with us. He was much keener than us and was able to identify animal and bird species and it was quite interesting listening to his adventures. A couple of Samba deer turned up just before darkness fell. Vanessa and I had headlights and he walked between us. I was surprised to spot the reflection of eyes along the path a couple of times and finally spotted the shape a mouse deer. The rainforest was alive with animals and birds. Perhaps other people just need to spend the time, be quiet and observe carefully. I was pleasantly surprised and impressed.

to be continued......

About david_vanessa


Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Malaysia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.