Existing Member?

How to spend your redundancy settlement

Sydney - Visit 1

UNITED KINGDOM | Tuesday, 25 January 2011 | Views [300]

17th December – Got up early as I am flying to Oz today. The flight was pretty uneventful and I ended up watching one of the Twilight films which to my surprise was actually quite good.

Getting through Australian customs was surprisingly easy and I was in a mini bus to my hostel quickly. After checking in I went and watched some more of the ashes before getting in touch with a girl I met in Rio called Liz. She told me to get on the bus and head to her house in Bondi so I did.  Once I met her she took me to the rocks on Bondi beach and we watched the surfers before heading o her house and chilling in her garden. I also met her cousin Michael and his fiancé Rhia who are both really cool. After a while we decided to go to a bar and got sufficiently leathered. After a while we grabbed a burger and headed back to their place. We started watching a film but as I was drunk and tired from my early start I just crashed out on their sofa and fell asleep.

 

18th December – After waking up on Liz’s sofa I headed back to my hostel as I had lots of washing to do. For the rest of the day I watched the ashes and only briefly ventured out to get some food for dinner. I went to Pie Face and this place is amazing. Definite idea for a company in England.

 

19th December – In the morning I decided to go for a walk through the Botanical gardens all the way up to Mrs Macquaries point. This is where the classic photo’s of Sydney harbour are taken from showing the opera house and the bridge in the background. After taking my “Classic Photo’s” I walked round to the Opera House and on the Circular Quay. The Museum of Contemporary Art is on Circular Quay so I decided to go in and have a look at the Anne Libowitz exhibition. The exhibition is fantastic and well worth it. Especially as I happened to turn up just as a guided tour was starting. Whilst I was in the museum Liz text me to say the she along with Michael and Rhia were going to walk the Harbour Bridge so I joined them and walked it as well. Its quite expensive but is a good laugh and the views of Sydney are very good from up there. Its also nice to be able to say I walked over the Harbour Bridge. The walk took 3 and a half hours and afterwards I went back to my hostel. In the evening I sat in the TV room where I met Michelle and Sophie so we sat and had a chat.

 

20th December – Met Sophie and Michelle and we went to the Sky tower. I waited whilst they visited it as I had done the bridge I didn’t feel the need to do the sky tower as well.  We then went to The Museum of New South Wales and Michelle left us as she is returning to Canberra. Sophie and I went in and went to the Terracotta Army exhibition. This was really interesting and has only fuelled my desire to go to Xian and see the army. The museum has a number of exhibitions so we walked around them all. My favourite was probably the sketching exhibition that had some amazing pictures. In the evening Sophie and I walked to Kings Cross to meet Dave and Sarah who I met in Fiji. We had a few drinks with them before walking back.

 

21st December – Sophie and I went for a walk before catching the ferry to manly where we were going to meet Dave and Sarah on the beach. After meeting them we had a swim in the fucking freezing sea and chilled on the beach chatting. Surprisingly not playing cards, see Fiji if you don’t understand. After a while we decided to build a sand man. We however noticed that it looked more like a penis and balls so as the mature males that we are we decided to build a massive penis an balls sand castle on the beach. It was huge. And lots of people laughed as they walked past. Que lots of shouting “its not the size that counts” to passing girls. Once we had fished we got the ferry back to the CBD and went to our hostels to have a shower and change. In the evening Soph and I walked across to Dave and Sarah’s hostel to watch TV and generally hang out.

 

22nd December – I got up and decided to go to the Botanical gardens to read and sleep. I picked a nice spot in some shad overlooking the opera house and chilled. After a while Soph came to join me and we sat reading. We had arranged to meet Dave and Sara in the evening but they had caught a 24 hour bug so we just watched TV instead and saved some money.

 

23rd December – I headed to the park again and sat in a similar place to the day before. Soph along wit Dave and Sarah came to join me and we got the cards out and played all day. It was a pretty cool day as all things go as we just chilled out playing cards and had a picnic. I had arranged to meet up with a girl I met on my trip around Peru in the evening so I gave her a call and she came and met me. Sarah hadn’t eaten so as I’m the back packer and she was working she insisted on taking me out for some food. Once we finished we went to the backpacker bar attached to my hostel and were joined by Dave, Sarah and Soph and had an epic night. It was a really good night and we were just being idiots and laughing all night.

 

24th December – Got up not quite believing that it was Christmas Eve. Its way too hot to be anywhere near Christmas. I packed my bag and took it to my hotel where I meet mum and dad after I visit Melbourne as I’m not taking it wit me. As I was doing this Liz invited me around so I did some shopping for food for tomorrow and went round. We were joined by Michael and Rhia and had a few drinks in the garden before we went headed to Darling Harbour to see the Christmas Eve fireworks. As the girls took soo long to get ready we missed the fireworks so we just went to a bar and met Dave ad Sarah for a few drinks. We stayed up long enough to see Christmas day in but left soon after.

 

25th December – Got up early and headed over to Liz’s. Everyone was still in bed so as they got ready I cooked some tuna Pasta with peas to take to the lunch that we were going to. We went on a nice walk along Bondi and about 5 other beaches to Coogee that took about an hour. We were heading to the flat of Rhia’s cousin and they were cooking up a storm and having a good party. The lunch was really good we had a normal English dinner with all the trimmings it was brilliant. After lunch we went on to the beach and had a dip in the sea. Bit strange for a Christmas day really. After a bit more of a party I headed to bondi with Liz and met up with Andrea who I had met in Fiji. We caught the bus together back to the CBD and I went off to Skype home as it was about time for Mum, Dad and Fred to be waking up to their Christmas morning.

pleas find photos here: 

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=4956053&l=ad21a200e1&id=286602040

About dan_powell


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.