Existing Member?

art and travel journal from a round-the-world art adventure

Jehangir's Tomb

PAKISTAN | Sunday, 3 February 2008 | Views [1709]

Just outside Lahore on the road that once connected Delhi to Kabul, and across the floodplain of the now dry Ravi, are the twin tombs of Nur Jahan and her husband, the Mughal Emperor Jehangir.


The road, though now sheared of its eastern portion, remains chaotic with an endless flow of rickshaws, brightly painted buses, and darting private vehicles. You turn left from the bus stop, cross the road and pass through a eucalyptus plantation where men squat to urinate beneath the rows of trees.


As the traffic fades, and just before the railway line and pedestrian underpass, is Nur Jahan's tomb. Little remains of the manicured gardens and orchards and the tomb itself was long ago stripped of its marble façade and inlay of precious stones. Signs announce the vandalism to be the orders of Maharajah Ranjit Singh who took what he could to build the Golden Temple in Amritsar. Others blame the British who furthered their 19th Century carve up of the subcontinent by dividing the tombs and gardens with a railway line.


In any case the building has been partly restored and is graceful with the elegant arches and cloistered spaces so distinctive of the era. There is a locked basement where the by now empty grave of Nur Jahan, light of the world, may be found.


Across the tracks, and set behind massive gates and high brick walls, is the tomb of Jehangir. Much more remains, and teams of men work to repair and restore the paths, marble screens and cut stone floorings. The head contractor tells me each screen takes two men six months to complete, and the tile work advances by only a few square metres each day. It is a job, he says, for more than his lifetime alone.


We sit drinking tea and watch the moon rise over the three domed cupola of the nearby mosque. At the muezzins call, at sunset, the power tools and all works stop and all is quiet in that great ruined garden that once stood at the centre of an empire.

Tags: culture

About damonlk


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Pakistan

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.