Existing Member?

art and travel journal from a round-the-world art adventure

Bhutto

PAKISTAN | Monday, 7 January 2008 | Views [966]

Bhutto died on Thursday afternoon. Once confirmed word spread fast from mouth to mouth to mobile phone. What began as a certain posture between two men talking in a doorway spread quickly up and down the street.

With regrettable, practiced, efficiency shopkeepers and traders pulled down shutters and packed away stalls. The fish shop at the foot of our hotel turned off the gas and staked away piles of fillets prepared for that evening’s eating. Everywhere the lights went out.

Within an our all was quiet, save the television in the foyer showing wall to wall Benazir tributes, newsflash and speculation. We took our dinner, bought just before Rawalpindi closed down, and went upstairs to our room.

For security, or from respect, Pakistan was still for three days. There were exceptions of course. The paan man never closed his stall, not even as the taxis and auto-rickshaws were abandoning the streets. The Good Luck Sweet Store continued to trade, selling cakes and chocolates and delicious carrot halwa from behind a façade of day old newspapers.

Children played in the now empty streets, games of cricket and impromptu football. From the top of our hotel, where we stayed most of that first day, we watched boys flying kites. Paper thin, and hundreds of metres in the air.

Saturday was quiet again but Sunday began to move as locals grew tired of the enforced stillness. The baker opened, as did market stalls selling apples and mandarins and dried fruit. We took ever longer walks, surprised at the absolute lack of police or military presence. Took pleasure in the quiet, the lack of horns or traffic, the clean air that invaded the city after years of smoke and haze.

Tags: on the road

About damonlk


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Pakistan

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.