Existing Member?

art and travel journal from a round-the-world art adventure

On with the show...

PAKISTAN | Monday, 19 November 2007 | Views [877] | Comments [1]

The week has been fairly occupied with preparations for the show next Monday at Alhamra Art Gallery. It is my first in Pakistan, and first solo abroad. The etchings are from the last four years and are inspired by people and places seen on my travels in North Africa, the Middle East and Mexico, as well as inner city Melbourne. It seemed fitting to call it 'home and away'.


As with previous exhibitions there have been extensive negotiations over invites, framing and publicity. Unique to Pakistan were the discussions over the size, quantity and supplier of the samosas. Friends had dissenting views as to the best samosawallah in Lahore, with Liberty, Main Market and Lakma Chowk all competing for places. I suggested the man from the local Firdos Market, who makes his pastry thin and light, and studded with caraway seeds.


The content of the samosas, ever debatable, remained undebated.


Otherwise it's business as usual. The state of emergency continues, and apart from the flurry of arrests that first weekend there are no more or less police in riot gear than in previous months. The shops and markets are open, the streets full of people, bicycles, buses and rickshaws.


There are only three weeks left at college. The time has passed amazingly quickly, and there is only room for one more portrait class, a trip to the zoo, and final free for all where everything learnt and seen over the last three months can be applied.


This last week has seen some of the students really open their eyes for the first time. It is a pleasure to watch them actively engage with their subject and material, to grapple with shapes and forms and emerge smiling, faces and hands covered in charcoal and graphite. I wish them well.

Tags: culture

Comments

1

sounds like you're having a good time. continuing to that is. don't worry, miriam is packing jumper and scarf. xxx alison

  alison Nov 26, 2007 3:37 PM

About damonlk


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Pakistan

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.