Existing Member?

Anna in Italy "You may have the universe if I may have Italy." Giuseppe Verdi

And the Studies Have Commenced

ITALY | Friday, 27 September 2013 | Views [1005] | Comments [8]

This week I attended class for the first time in Italy: I had 6 hours of International Law, which is a third year subject taught in English. I'm getting a nice, easy introduction to studying here, with one subject this week, another one starting next week, and a third the week after. All in all I expect I'll be having about 14 or 15 contact hours per week, which is similar to what I had back home. 

Let's be honest: I was pretty much terrified going into my first class, not having the slightest idea of what to expect, and knowing only that the Italian University system is completely different to the Australian one (this was all I had been able to establish prior to the first lecture). 

However, my fears were groundless. The lecturer, whose name is Paolo, turned out to be very nice, very good at English, and very astonished at the fact that he had an native English speaker in his class (everyone else was Italian except for one Spanish girl). I obviously have a huge advantage over the other members of the class in that the language doesn't present a problem for me, however all the others are third year law students, who have studied law in depth for two years, so there I notice that I am rather at a disadvantage; I don't have the same "knowledge base" as they do. 

Classroom

If anyone wants to know what it is like to study at a university in Italy, I will tell you. You attend lectures, frantically take notes for two hours while the lecturer talks at the front of the class, buy the textbook, read the textbook, and sit the exam. That's it. There are no tutorials, no homework tasks, no essays, no group assignments, and no oral presentations. The exam is usually worth 100% of your final mark. And it is very often an oral exam, something that nearly gave me heart failure when I first heard it. Fortunately though, at least for International Law, the exam will be a written one. 

Hmm what else is new? Oh yeah, there's a HUGE market on Wednesday mornings in the city centre, with literally hundreds of stalls lining the streets. Even for a non-shopper like myself, I must say it was no small task to resist the temptation to purchase a stack of clothes, shoes, handbags and other accessories, all at very reasonable prices.

Market1

Market2

Market3

Market4

The weather is still absolutely lovely here, I'm starting to wonder if it will ever actually get cold. I don't think it's rained once since I got here - we need to figure out a way to import this weather to Australia. 

Clock Tower

BlueSky

Anyway I'll sign off here for now, and wish you all a fantastic weekend!

Sunrise

Comments

1

love the market...another place I would love to explore!

  Anna Nooit Sep 28, 2013 1:19 PM

2

Nice pictures. Awesome market looks nice to browse through.

  Fiona Naccari Sep 29, 2013 9:48 AM

3

@Fiona&Anna: Sure it's great, if you have the $$$ :) You guys know Pilgrim's Progress right? It reminds me of Vanity Fair, all these products everywhere tempting me to buy them... :):)

  Anna Sep 29, 2013 6:39 PM

4

Interesting to hear about your experiences with the European system :) Will you have to go to an oral exam?

  Benny Oct 1, 2013 4:14 AM

5

@Benny: Hey thanks for stopping past - nice to hear from you! Haha I guess my whole strange experience sounds pretty normal to you, but yeah it's a whole new world for me. I think my exams will be written, for which I am extremely grateful, cos I've heard that the vast majority of exams here are oral, which would totally freak me out...

  Anna Oct 1, 2013 5:36 AM

6

Ahh okay - good for you :) Though I believe you would manage an oral exam effortlessly.
Yeah it sounds a bit like how we do it. You get used to it.

  Benny Oct 3, 2013 1:49 AM

7

Hello Anna - as I turned on the internet, I was hoping for another blog!! Read your bit about the weather to my Mum and she laughed...'we could do with it now' was her reply. Yes we are certainly experiencing some amazing weather - 25deg yesterday and wild and wooly winds today with, would you believe, hail! Definitely not boring here, you don't know what is going to happen from one moment to the next....now sunny and beautiful blue sky:) Went up to see the Drammen Brunstadfest at the weekend - now THAT was truly AMAZING! I hope you get an opportunity to see it soon, it was just so edifying from start to finish. It ended with everyone standing up and singing....'Verdig er du Jesus'. So dear friend, until next time: all the best with your studying.

  Maggie Dickson Oct 17, 2013 4:24 PM

8

Hi Maggie, nice to hear from you again! We can tell winter is approaching now, still some nice days of sunshine but the mornings and evenings are getting colder. I am doing some frantic studying now, I'm going to be taking a mid-term exam in just a couple of weeks, that will actually be worth more than the end-of-semester exam, so I've got a lot of information to cram in. Hopefully after that I will be able to relax a little. I'm glad your mum is enjoying the blog, please say hi to her from me. Lots of love xxx

  Anna Oct 25, 2013 4:56 AM

About annarisa


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Italy

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.