Existing Member?

Anna in Italy "You may have the universe if I may have Italy." Giuseppe Verdi

The Story Begins

ITALY | Sunday, 15 September 2013 | Views [871] | Comments [16]

So now I'm going to start talking about what it's actually like for an Australian to live in a small university town in Italy. But first things first: let's get the pronunciation right. Macerata is not, I repeat NOT, pronounced Musssssssserata. Say it with me: "Much" + "e" (as in "E"llen or "E"dward) + "rata" (as in pro "rata"). That's right, Muche'rahta, and if you throw in the Italian "r" you will even impress the locals :) Anyway, I'll start by answering some common questions...


Where am I living?

I'm staying in a house for female students, 5 minutes by bus to the city centre, but I often choose to walk, as the weather has been beautiful so far. I have my own bedroom and bathroom, and I share a kitchen, laundry and living area with a bunch of other girls. I think when semester starts I could be sharing these with up to 12 girls, but so far there's only been 3 or 4 of us, so it's been really nice. 

Bedroom

bathroom

kitchen


What is Macerata like?

Macerata is a city built on the side of a mountain. They call it a hill, but you can take it from me it's a mountain. The views from almost anywhere are absolutely beyond belief, and the air is so pure you can see for miles in any direction. I had this idea that Europe is totally polluted, I thought I'd heard that somewhere, but I can't see any signs of it here. You stand at a lookout point (which is practically any place where you're not looking up at the mountain itself) and you can see details on the horizon sooo far away, but it's not blurred at all, the mountain edges are sharply outlined against the sky. I don't know how to explain myself, but trust me, it's amazing. The photos absolutely do not do it justice, you can't get that feeling of depth in a photo, it's just breathtaking. 

View 1

view 2

The downside of this is of course the millions of stair cases and ramps that must be traversed no matter where you want to go. And for someone like me, who has no trouble losing my way in flat places, I am now managing to get lost in 3 dimensions. Seriously, on my first day here I was looking for Piazza della Liberta (Liberty Plaza) which is basically the dead centre of the city. I asked a lady where it was, and she's like "Oh, you took the wrong turn back there. Go in to that building, climb the stairs, and you'll be close to the plaza when you get to the top." I'm thinking to myself, "You have got to be joking!" but not knowing what else to do, I followed her instructions. I went in, climbed at least five flights of stairs, and exited at the top. And there was the plaza, not 100 metres away!

Looking Up

downstairs

The city seems to me to be divided into 2 parts, the city centre/inner city/city proper/old city and the rest. The inner city is surrounded by a thick wall (Jericho springs to mind!) which looks positively medieval. Inside the streets are narrow and cobbled, the buildings super old, and there are churches and statues and fountains everywhere. Outside the walls, the city resembles regular cities that you would see around the world, with wider streets, lots of shops, public gardens, apartment blocks, etc.

City Walls 1

City Walls 2

Old city

Do I feel safe here?

This is an interesting one. All I can say is that from what I've seen so far, there is an absolute abundance of police around here. Whether this is an indication that there is a lot of crime, or no crime at all I couldn't really say, but basically it's hard to feel frightened when there are police cars driving past you every 30 seconds. I am not kidding, I have seen at least 4 different types of the regular police cars (Polizia Locale, Polizia Municipale, Polizia Provinciale, Polizia Statale) since I got here, and this is in addition to the black Carabinieri cars buzzing around everywhere (Carabinieri are a different kind of police, not sure exactly what the difference is, I think they report to the military or something, rather than the government). So to answer the question, in terms of crime, I feel quite safe where I am. 

Regarding traffic, well that's another matter. Crossing the street was a terrifying experience for me in the beginning, I was convinced I had no chance of survival whatsoever if I ever dared venture off the footpath. Anyway so one morning I was hovering at the edge of an intersection, trying to pluck up the courage to cross, when I see a lady, who was pushing a pram, calmly stroll across like 10 metres up the street from me!!! I couldn't believe my eyes! First I was outraged that she could dare to risk the life of her child like that, and then I was amazed to watch all the cars just stop and wave her across, without a single honk of their horns. I was determined to try it out at once. And guess what, it works! If you just hold your head up high and look confident, the traffic waits for you whether you have right of way or not. Well anyway, it's worked so far. But if you guys don't hear from me for a bit, then you can assume that my theory was fundamentally flawed and I've been flattened by a Fiat somewhere in the bowels of Macerata...

Anyway, I've got tons more I could write, but this post is already mammoth in size, so I'd better leave it for now and write another one later. Don't forget to leave a comment if you stop by, I just love reading from you guys! :)

Comments

1

Love the details Anna. I can see and hear it. How's it going with the food situation? Sending u a big hug.

  Fiona Naccari Sep 16, 2013 5:14 AM

2

I am going to check this blog every day I can and see if there is a new update as I just live hearing how things are going. Love the way you write! Can hear you talking (just about). It reminds me of this long email we used to write back in the day!! Looks like you are having a interesting and great time so far! How is the language going? Great Im guessing knowing you :)

  Liz R Sep 16, 2013 2:19 PM

3

Excuse typos in last comment - blame it on my iPhone :)

  Liz R Sep 16, 2013 2:21 PM

4

@Fiona: Hmm the food situation... lol. I'm getting by so far. Haven't really cooked yet, there are some super cheap kebabs and pizzas you can buy here, so it doesn't seem worth the effort. Still on the lookout for some decent BREAD though, everything you buy seems to be harder than granite and crumbles to nothing when you cut it :( But maybe I need to go to an actual bakery, I've only been to the local supermarkets up till now... A hug for you too!!

@Liz: Wow every day, that's a bit extreme lol! I appreciate your commitment, but I should warn you I'll probably only be updating once a week, so wouldn't want you to waste your time :) The language is going ok, up and down, sometimes I feel like I'm awesome, other times I can't make myself understood at all and am sure I'm totally useless, guess that's the norm though...

  Anna Sep 16, 2013 5:23 PM

5

Hi Anna - I'm enjoying your story telling.. thanks also for posting the photos of your room. It's nice to get a glimpse into where you're living, especially as we can't just pop in for a visit. Thinking of you often - I'll miss you at LPC this weekend.
Do you mind if I pass your blog address on to Kaarina? I'm sure you won't, but just want to check anyway before I do. :)
Love from Henkela

  Henkela Sep 17, 2013 10:33 AM

6

Hi Anna, nice to hear that you're settling in! Love hearing all the details and seeing the pictures. It looks beautiful!! Looking forward to the next update:)
Love Ingrid

  Ingrid Sep 17, 2013 1:40 PM

7

@Henkela: Thanks, I'm glad it is appreciated :) Of course you can pass the blog on to anyone you like, it's open to everyone, I was counting on it kind of getting around after the initial emails...

@Ingrid: Nice to hear from you! I'll update again over the next couple of days xx

  Anna Sep 17, 2013 5:51 PM

8

Anna! Hope you had a great birthday in that beautiful town!! Can you message me your phone number.. Love the photos! Can just imagine it;-)

  Sarah Sep 18, 2013 11:26 AM

9

I had a lovely birthday here, thanks Sarah, and I just whatsapped you my number :) Glad you like the photos... xx

  Anna Sep 18, 2013 7:40 PM

10

Hi Anna, Thanks that was lovely to read and good to see the photo's Amazing the streets on those levels!. All the best and I like the way you tell, just as if you were here in the lounge telling about Italy. enjoy your time and make the most of the opportunities you get!, Love,Johanna

  Johanna Sep 18, 2013 9:31 PM

11

Haha Johanna I miss being in your lounge room having cups of tea with you. And your BANANA bread, and your APPLE CINNAMON bread, they are all so delicious!! I'll be up for a visit as soon as I land in Australia :)

  annarisa Sep 20, 2013 12:38 AM

12

Anna :) love reading about what you are doing and all your adventures! x

  Katie Sep 21, 2013 11:45 PM

13

Mo mi rendo conto che mi mancano per bene i mesi a Macerata... =)

  Marion Oct 10, 2013 3:45 AM

14

Annnnnnnnaaaaaaa! giusto per sapere: avevi paura che noi italiani fossimo tutti dei criminali??? ahhahhahahahah :P mi dispiace ma se la pensavi così lasciatelo dire: è uno stereotipo!!!! sappi che Macerata è chiamata la città della pace proprio perché non succede mai nulla ;) siamo noiosi noi Pistacoppi :) :*

  Giulia Dec 6, 2013 7:27 PM

15

Haha Giulia, senti IO non pensavo cosi, era la mia povera famiglia e i miei amici che si spaventavano tantissimo, visto che andavo ad un posto dove non conoscevo nemmeno un'anima. Quindi queste "osservazioni" le ho messe qui solo per rassicurarli. Cmq bella la cena ieri, grazie di nuovo, ne metto un articolo tra poco. Pistacoppi hehe :) <3

  Anna Dec 6, 2013 9:52 PM

16

Hi, Anna! Really liked your story. Hope to read more from you soon :)
I also study abroad, so I can completely understand your feelings and emotions!
Good luck with your study :))
Regards

  mariazhig Jun 4, 2014 1:02 AM

About annarisa


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Italy

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.