Existing Member?

Peregrinations Mexico and Central America on Motorcycle: Open road, open heart, open mind.

My "Cousin" Kyle

PERU | Thursday, 22 May 2008 | Views [856] | Comments [6]

Before leaving B.A. for Uruguay. By the way, folks, I got a new haircut before I left Colorado!

Before leaving B.A. for Uruguay. By the way, folks, I got a new haircut before I left Colorado!

Well, everyone, the inevitable has happened: Kyle has left me to become a Panamaniac. It’s true. Your intrepid explorer now finds herself alone in the South American continent. It’s okay, trust me. I’m launching into this new challenge with a sense of confidence previously unknown to me. I feel comfortable in Peru, I know my way around the bus stations and other potentially frightening places, and my Spanish is a finely honed tool (never you mind that just yesterday I regaled an Argentine man with the story of the great ice cream avalanche in the nearby town of Yungay).

It’s strange traveling without Kyle. He left a few days ago from Lima, but it wasn’t until yesterday, when I was driving away from the hostel in a taxi without him next to me that I experienced a little wave of fear/panic. Sure, there are some things about traveling with him that I will not miss, such as his stinky shoes of death; how he takes up one and a half seats on the bus, leaving me with just a half; how he steps on my toes every single time we sit at a table together; how hopeless he is at blending in (example: we come up out of the metro station in Santiago, he sees a large train station and stops dead in his tracks to point with a straight arm and shout, “LOOK! WOW!).

But the list of things I won’t miss ends there, and the list of things I will miss is considerably longer. Like the card games we played every time we had a few minutes to kill (he creamed me in our last game of yaniv). I’ll miss our ridiculous conversations, like the one we had while drinking a beer and gazing at Huayna Potosi, the huge mountain we climbed:

“Wow, how did we do that?” he asked between sips.

“By being a couple of complete badasses,” I responded.

“Yeah,” he agreed. “It must be in our blood or something.”

I’ll miss not having a readily-available trekking partner that I hike perfectly with. I’ll definitely miss his camera (the number of new photos on this site is about to seriously decline). I’ll miss the hugs. I’ll miss the things people say when they find out that we’re cousins (“Wow, the Traveling Cousins! It sounds like a circus act!” and “Cousins? That’s…fun.”). I’ll miss having him as a buffer between me and the skeezy men on the streets. I’ll miss smoking our tobaccos pipes together on rooftop terraces in new cities.

The list goes on.

Kyle, the best "cousin" I’ve ever had, thanks for everything, man! Lotsa love,  Sarah

Comments

1

wait...cousin? im just confused now.....waaa! any way! 3 more weeks intell you get back!!! YAY! ^-^

  ashlynn May 26, 2008 1:57 AM

2

Hey kiddo. Kyle and I pretended to be cousins for the vast majority of our trip. Besides, he's about as close as family can get without there being actual DNA involved!

Can't wait to see you! Did you get my postcard from Peru?

Love,
Sarah

  alpiner84 May 29, 2008 9:53 AM

3

i havent gottin a post card yet...but ill have to check! guess wat?!!! IM GETTING A KITTY IM GETTING A KITTIY IM GETTING A KITTY KITTY KITTY CAT!!!! she's pure black and has blue/green eyes! ^-^

  ashlynn May 29, 2008 12:17 PM

4

Really? That's so exciting. How does dad feel about it? I'm going to get a cat, too, after I come home and get a career. What will your cat's name be? How old is she? -Sarah-

  alpiner84 May 30, 2008 12:58 AM

5

Sunny! You're the best ever, Guapissima! (is that right?)

I haven't written in a while, and the guilt of being an absolutely terrible friend has set in. I hope you're well. You're definitely in my thoughts every single day of the week!

All the best in your adventures to come!

  Kate May 30, 2008 3:48 AM

6

I just got teary eyed reading about Kyle’s departure. You have me missing him too…..
I hope you are well, I’m so looking forward to seeing you.


  Kelly Jun 1, 2008 8:24 AM

About alpiner84


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Peru

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.