Existing Member?

La Dolce Vita

Ciao, Italy!

ITALY | Friday, 22 August 2014 | Views [1126]

Lucca

These are the facts: I am currently sitting in a cafe outside of Firenze S.M.N. train station. I am sipping a cappuccino before my train departs for Pisa. I am starting to get nostalgic for Italy in a strange and unfamiliar way, because, well, I am technically still here. 

This was my first “real” trip to Italy (other than a half day in San Remo in 2007) and I was here for 4 whole days; enough time to get fully immersed in the Italian culture but not enough time to feel satisfied with my amount of time here. Does that make sense? It’s like Italy has served up this platter of incredible experiences, only to take it all back just as I am starting to get used to it; just as I’m starting to love it.

I met a lot of wonderful, friendly people. I ate some incredible food. I saw some breathtaking sights (I’m looking at you, Piazza del Duomo). I don’t speak a word of Italian except for “Ciao!” and “Gratzie,” (bye and thank you). But it hasn’t really hindered me at all. I’ve had some pretty impressive encounters simply by using my hands and smiling. It’s almost as if we don’t need words to communicate here. 

Most of yesterday was spent in Lucca, a small, Tuscan village about an hour outside of Florence. I rented a bike and that was my mode of transportation for the next six hours. Lucca still retains it’s original city wall, and you can now bike or walk along it, around the entire city. The rolling Tuscan hills surround you, and whiffs of what I can only describe as “fresh countryside” fill the air. I, of course, stopped for gelato in the main square (which had almost no tourists compared to Florence) and just let everything hit me. This is the best day ever. Italy is awesome.

I head to London tomorrow morning and although I’m excited to begin the next leg of the trip in my favorite city, I also can’t help but feel a little sad that my time here is nearly over. Italy has stolen my heart with its crazy ideas about time and priorities (and suitcases!), the food, the people, the culture, and the magnificent sights to be seen (I mean really, get yourself to the Duomo, stat! It’s utterly stunning). 

The Duomo!

Ciao for now, Italy. I will surely be back soon.

 

Tags: florence, italy, lucca, piazza del duomo, tuscany

About aeileenr


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Italy

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.