Existing Member?

Explore.Dream.Discover 2012

As things come to a close...Aug 5th NZ

NEW ZEALAND | Saturday, 4 August 2012 | Views [832] | Comments [1]

.
With only a few weeks left till our return home, I thought a little personal account of my emotions might be something interesting we could look back on one day.
Firstly all my apprehensions of leaving work and stopping training, jumping off the bandwagon effectively, have been difficult to shake off but no doubt the best thing I could have ever done.   I've also had a long quest to ascertain my long term future in medicine.  These questions and thoughts have remained with me, not in a negative way, but in a way that has allowed my subconscious to process thoughts that previously I had no time for.  
Our journey in India was an unforgettable introduction to our travelling, with the Taj Mahal, the marathon sleeper trains, and beautiful Goa and Kerela the pinnacles of our travel there.   
Nepal provided spirituality and the people, culture, organised chaos of Kathmandu were inspiring.  We loved the adventure side of things but Bandipur the quaint mountain village tops the bill. 
Our travel in Laos, began with the disappointing Van Vieng, the capital of drunk pathetic morons, but was soon reinstated as a budget paradise during the central Laos motorcycle diaries, that took us through an authentic village travel experience.  
Cambodia was high on the list of favourites, the exhausting jungle of Ban Lung, the awe inspiring Angkor Temples that remain on our top five amazing things we've seen so far, ever.  The frightful bamboo train and gorgeous beaches put Cambodia up there for budget destinations.  Thank you and sorry for your troubled past. 
Bangkok was the usual chaos, but the short trip was memorable, mainly for the vintage clothing and my 1960's vw trip. Thanks again vw man!
Oz was all over emotional, spiritual, and extortionate.  Our family ties in Sydney and Melbourne were breathtaking, and the red centre and Uluru again on our top five.  I also will never forget my spiritual moment at the 'elder's cave' where I decided my future in medicine.  For a brief moment I imagined these aboriginal ancestors scribing picture messages on the walls with a fire filling the cave with smoke and heat.  I imagined how their knowledge had been passed down countless generations for over 30,000 years, and how disappointed they would be for their troubled times now.  How life should be so simple.
I will also never forget that fishing for me began here, with the help of Toni, and his kindness to give me a tackle box with all the things I could possibly need.  It is only now I realise how precious tackle is to a fisherman so his generosity I still find hard to comprehend.  Thanks buddy. 
New Zealand is something special.  Anyone who remotely knows me knows I love the outdoors.  I especially love mountains, lakes and snow. NZ seems to have this on tap, and with the warm kind people operating the tap, it is truly a place I could live.  The resilience of Christchurch is touching and the aftermath  of destruction upsetting.  I felt something special there.  In NZ Sophia and I caught our first fish, and we experience skydiving for the first time, something that I doubt will ever be beaten.  Thank you NZ and see you soon.
It's been an emotional and challenging journey.  We've often longed for home, and often craved for longer away.  What I've realised is how precious the people back home are to me. These people know who they are.  And whilst we miss our family and friends immensely, I feel we have gained family in Austrailia.  That is the incredible thing.  
I'm sorry that we've not been there to help my parents with the house move, something I wish I could have changed, and I am sorry I've not been there for my brother and friends when maybe they would have liked a chat, as I often do. 
However we would not have changed this time away for anything, and it's been the best ever way to catch up with my amazing wife who has stood by me through all my exams and study... Thank you and I love you always.  
From many things I have learnt, here are a couple....
I have learnt that my life is not to be rushed, because my journey is always longer than the time spent at my destination.  If I rush one day I will wonder why and where the time has gone, and of course it would have gone on the journey that I disregarded. 
I have learnt that I must enjoy the journey even more than I thought previously, and whilst these thought are certainly not new for me, I will try to embrace them even more.  
I have also learnt that my friends and family are what makes me who I am.   One day my name will be written in stone and it is the memories and experiences I share with others that will last forever.  
I have also learnt that we are all born equal, but we are not born to equal opportunities .  Our opportunities are based only on luck, to the environment and  parents we are born to.  I will try to always remember that.  Whilst I may have created my own situations and experiences, it is the opportunity to create that has allowed me to do so.  I will try to remember all the people we have met on our travels who have been born equal, but born to fewer opportunities than we have been given.  Luck has already played a massive part in my life from the outset. 
And so awaits South America, but really I am looking further ahead in time to our future and career.  We long to travel again soon.  
Cant wait to see you all, miss you and love all very much. X

Tags: thoughts

 

Comments

1

Lovely words... and it brings back memories of Greek A Level - the Cavafy poem Ithaki :-)
See you both soon x

  Anna P Aug 24, 2012 8:17 PM

About OandSoph


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about New Zealand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.